Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those coupling-sleeves again...
(07-30-2019, 01:29 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: Just received my copy of Ancient Warfare XIII.1 and what do I see in the background? Epirote phalangites wielding sarrisae with coupling-sleeves... Angry Matthew's An Invincible Beast had 'em, but I could ignore the specific chapter, as it's a decent work, while Dahm's Macedonian Phalangite vs Persian Warrior: Alexander confronts the Achaemenids, 334–331 BC  lazily regurgitated it, like a pair of Hawkwood's dismounted men-at-arms wielding a single spear. Why is the coupling sleeve still perpetuated, despite no other examples and no mention of it in accounts?

I guess they just cannot imagine how else you could make such a long pike.... so it would seem logical, even if the evidence doesn't fit the logic.

Thought it worthwhile to check Theophrastus "Enquiry into plants" and low and behold...

The reference is to Cornelian Cherry, Cornus mas, European Cornel (apparantly this can grow up to 12m tall) :

"The height of the male tree is at most 12 cubits, the length of the longest macedonian spear"

I have no idea if this is true, that the longest spear is 12 cubits or about 18ft but at least its contemporary, and if so would suggest you could make the Sarissa from one piece with no need for any join.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Crispianus - 07-30-2019, 06:50 AM
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Paralus - 11-19-2019, 02:37 AM
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Paralus - 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Dave G - 11-30-2019, 10:28 AM
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Paralus - 12-02-2019, 01:58 AM
RE: Those coupling-sleeves again... - by Creon01 - 09-27-2022, 02:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarissa \'Coupling Sleeve\' rocktupac 28 8,731 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr