Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum
Thank you Ivor  Wink it certainly will do sacrificing  Cry but I hope the barbrian kind. 
Dan dogwood has a very tight grain, you can only just see it in the cross grain. It is also good to carve. The only small thing is even well seasoned it can shrink a little after you work it. I had to go over the rivets the next day to pull it back together not much but you could feel the scales had a slight move.
Today scabbard, I carved the slot out first, leave a gap at the bottom as you carve so the point does not hit when inserted.

Once both sides are carved, cut out one piece to near the edges,  I leave about 1/4"  all around the edge, second photo the bottom one has been marked out.
 Now this has come up sometimes in threads, once you glue and clamp. Use the blade and put inside and use the blade to remove excess glue and stop snots from forming and stopping the blade going back in  Wink hope to have this finished today ready for leather and fittings to be made Huh
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - by brennivs - tony drake - 04-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum brennivs - tony drake 7 1,372 05-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread Titus Marius Secundus 81 13,072 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,777 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar