Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(09-14-2018, 07:41 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Then NEMETON IS compared with the various names (Gaelic) NEMTHUR & Latin (NEMTURRI). The main difference is a single letter ... the last n ... which could easily be a copy mistake for r (n/r)

Where are you getting 'Nemturri' from now?

All I see is a similarity in the first three letters, and a 'T'. As for 'copy mistakes' - this sounds like 'correcting names' to me.

(09-14-2018, 07:41 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: We have three of the five lives saying Strathclyde and Dumbarton Rock.

All three based, I think, on the single note by the anonymous scholiast on Fiach - a medieval writer commenting on a earlier medieval semi-legendary saint's life.

Fiach's nemthur, as several writers suggest, is Gaelic for 'holy tower'. So not a place name, but a description. 'Nemeton' does not mean Holy Tower.

(09-14-2018, 07:41 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Patrick in his own words calls Latin a “foreign language”.

I still believe he does not - but the full text is available in both English and Latin, so let everyone decide for themselves.

(09-14-2018, 07:41 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: If Patrick has been brought up within the Roman empire, by a Latin speaking Roman town councillor, not only would he have spoken Latin at home, but he would be expected to learn good Latin at School.

He did, it seems. He says that in his youth, before his captivity, "my sins... prevented me from really taking in what I read." What language do you suggest he was reading in?

I would guess that his cultural background was as much British as Roman/Latin - he apparently had an alternative British name - but by the 5th century, especially in the western districts of sub-Roman Britain, the standard of Latin was probably not very high anyway.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by Nathan Ross - 09-14-2018, 08:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,037 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 987 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,228 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell