Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
(08-15-2018, 04:39 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: So this "hopelessly confused" person goes on to talk about Arthur's O'en, a Roman temple on the River Carron where there are "VII castellis munivit". However, you read this, there were seven fortified castles and the writer of the note is clearly referring to the Antonine wall.
Is your argument: "we should ignore any texts where we think there might be a mistake" - if so we may as well give up on Roman material.

Please accept my apologies; I thought I'd made my point clear.
It is quite obvious that we know more about the Antonine Wall than Nennius did:
It wasn't Septimius Severus who built the Antonine Wall. It isn't 132 miles long. It doesn't begin at Kinneil (if that is what the writer means by "the villa called in Scots Cenail but in English Peneltun"). It doesn't end at Kirkintilloch (which seems to be the "Cair Pentalloch" of the text).
And it doesn't have seven forts.

But we have now travelled far down a rabbit hole from the original discussion about the Ravenna Cosmography (which doesn't, in any case, name seven places across the isthmus)!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by D B Campbell - 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,036 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 986 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,228 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell