Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legionaire Shield Late Empire(400 AD)
Quote:</em></strong><hr>but curved are more common based on the finds, particularly of the bosses.<hr><br>
You mean dished are more common, of course?<br>
I've not seen a Late Roman boss for a curved shield, yet.. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
All of my late roman shields are dished, and most covered with rawhide as well. Deepeeka has succesfully made these now in three layers of thin plywood slats, but may not be offered on the market yet. I believe there were some flat shields as well, since some on late Roman 3-dimensional monuments depict flat shields when they could have just as easily beeen sculpted as dished shieds.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Dan,<br>
<br>
Can you keep us posted as to when these dished shields become available?<br>
It's always good to have a new supplier. Do you know what kind of boss they're going to use? In your pictures I see several models. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes, I meant dished. I was a little sleepy and distracted when I was writing my comments. <p></p><i></i>
Robert,<br>
I think they are available now, you only need to let you local dealer know to ask for them. They now have the standard early auxillieary round umbo, but could make some of the more exotic late styles. There are now two sizes based on the sizes in our late Roman group, pics of which you have seen. A dished oval to Dura specs was also made, but regretably, my prototype was converted to "The shield of Achilles" because of the Troy movie. I will try to get it made again on my next trip. It did come out nice though.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hi Dan,<br>
I realise this is a marketplace question, but..<br>
The Deepeeka website does not show any dished shields (yet), neither does Armae or any of the other Deepeeka retailers. Until then, I don't know what product to ask for.<br>
<br>
It would be a good idea for Deepeeka to start manufacturing more (Late Roman) umbos! How about a pointed one? <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Aitor, are you coming to Archeon this summer? Do you have to be at Veleia then too?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Since RAT (v1) is no longer "active", I'll update this thread with my last post.
(4/7/05 5:29 pm)

Avete,

I just got this reply from Deepeeka concerning Dan Peterson's Late Roman shield :

Quote:Thank you for your mail.

This shield was developed, but never launched due to a limited market. If you could buy more than 10 pieces, we can re-develop this and offer to you. At present we are not offering this in online.

Regards,

GAGAN
Jaime
Ivan,
No, unfortunately, we cannot go to Archeon this year because the Basque Government has decided to start the archaeological practice school (campos de trabajo) earlier this year without asking us previously! Sad
I hope to meet you at Centcelles and later at our September festival Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Well it sounds like Deepeeka might be interested in making these shields. I emailed them last week asking about it and got this reply:

Quote:Dear David;

There are a few people who have shown interest in this shield. We do
plan to make these if orders are adequate. Can you please advice as to
how many pieces would you be interested in for me to be able to work out
the working coasts etc.

Looking forward to hear from you.

With best regards,

GAGAN

So hopefully they'll start pumping these things out, and hopefully as "blanks", and at a reasonable price.
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman
Would it be a reasonable thing to compile a list of people here who might be interested, and then forward to Deepeeka? It need not be a binding commitment to buy, of course.
Felix Wang
A good thing, but please do start a new thread on the marketing forum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Aitor, I'm so sorry about that, about Tarraco viva, the legio I germanica would maybe be at Centcelles as well.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield Patterns Website Longovicium 14 2,831 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Legionaire Literacy Johnny Shumate 21 4,912 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Late Roman Shield Personalization Poftim 72 13,935 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: TheMexican1821