Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Shield Personalization
Hello,
Does anyone know how personalized late Roman Shields were? I'm not just talking about graffiti on their shields, but also if they had their name, century, cohort, station, etc...

And also, whether it was on the front or the back of the shield.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Quote:NAMES OF SOLDIERS INSCRIBED ON THEIR SHIELDS
Lest the soldiers in the confusion of battle should be separated from their comrades, every cohort had its shields painted in a manner peculiar to itself. The name of each soldier was also written on his shield, together with the number of the cohort and century to which he belonged.

II.18. Nomina militum et gradus in scutis eorum aduersis scribenda
Sed ne milites aliquando in tumultu proelii a suis contubernalibus aberrarent, diuersis cohortibus diuersa in scutis signa pingebant, ut ipsi nominant, digmata, sicut etiam nunc moris est fieri. Praeterea in aduerso scuto uiuscuiusque militis litteris erat nomen adscriptum, addito et ex qua esset cohorte quaue centuria.

I'm only not sure if this practise as described by Vegetius should be taken as a real one, and indeed to when it would have been dated; the 3rd c., his own 4th c. or maybe much much early (from which period he drew some of his sources)?

My guess is that all the textual info would have been on the back of the shield.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[Image: 2006archeon10.jpg][Image: 2006archeon_andreas6.jpg]
The Lions and the Medusa are extra customization.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Cool, thanks for the info.

For the back of my shield I was thinking a system looking like this:

Name
CENT -- COH --
Name of Unit
I think that would cover all the relevant info about a unit? Is there anything else I should add?

I'm doing the Auxilium Claustrinorum (means Auxiliary of the Dam, right?) from Transluco, Dacia.

By the way, good tutorial on making a sheld, Robert, I'm almost done. Big Grin
Eric

Remeber to post pics!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Personally, I wouldn't bother with more detailed info, but I wouldn't say you shouldn't (!).

We generally follow Vegetius in just putting on our name & unit number. I have this on front and rear, just for picking mine out of displays or piles. You can see some of it on the left of this shot, plus some Christian symbols from the catacombs:
[url:2mztfryn]http://pics.livejournal.com/salvianus/pic/000a7616/g30[/url]

For faster, more practical recognition, we have personalised painted shield backs:

Decorated shield rears from our website, face third from right:
[url:2mztfryn]http://www.comitatus.net/arms-photos/arms-11.JPG[/url]

close up

[url:2mztfryn]http://www.comitatus.net/arms-photos/arms-12.JPG[/url]

cheers Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Thanks for the info, Salvianus, I might just add the info to do it, I don't know.

Here are some pics of its construction so far:

[Image: IMG_0346.jpg]
Here's after I glued down the cloth. I used twill. I'm not sure if the Romans had it or not, but I don't care, It'll be strong and no one will be able to tell when it's painted.

[Image: IMG_0347.jpg]
Here it is after the first coat of paint. The clips are so the cloth doesn't peel up.

I'll give more updates as they come, I can't thank you enough for the article, Robert Big Grin
Eric

Looks good to me.
Flat? Slightly curved?
Dimensions?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It's about 46"x39"

This big:
[Image: strangelove_wideweb__430x284.jpg]

It is slightly curved on the sides, like the older square shields, but not as drastic.

I know yours isn't curved, but my dad said curving it would make it hella stronger, so I did. Besides, I figure that with all the different places making shields, someone, somewhere must of had one curved like that.
Eric

Quote:It's about 46"x39"
It is slightly curved on the sides, like the older square shields, but not as drastic.
I know yours isn't curved, but my dad said curving it would make it hella stronger, so I did. Besides, I figure that with all the different places making shields, someone, somewhere must of had one curved like that.
Yeah well, that's the thing. While we can agree on flat shields when it comes to Late Roman ones, there have never been umbos found for curved shields. So that's why we figure that curved shields went out of fashion together with the rectangular ones. Most Late Roman shields were dished anyway.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:We generally follow Vegetius in just putting on our name & unit number.

Perhaps it was a later change, but it's always been my understanding that a Century was generally referred to by the name of the Centurio- this is seen in markings on many helmets (granted rather earlier than Vegitius :wink: ) and at least one document I can recall reading about from Vindolanda.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Perhaps it was a later change, but it's always been my understanding that a Century was generally referred to by the name of the Centurio- this is seen in markings on many helmets ...

I believe so. I compromised on the apparent dichotomy between earlier evidence and Vegetius by only putting the cohort number. I just couldn't bring myself to add my commander's name - I wouldn't want him getting a big head! Big Grin

I also nearly gave the genitive 'Salviani' in line with personal equipment inscriptions, but took that 'nomen' literally. I'm very interested in any Late Roman equipment inscriptions, if anyone has any, as I may feel obliged to repaint one of these days.

I've often wondered about the meaning of the 'VI' of the Deurne helmet inscription ' STABLESIA VI', even if it is a numeral rather than VI for VICIT as on the Berkasovo 2 helmet. Any further info?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:
Poftim:2sjsqzfo Wrote:It's about 46"x39"
Yeah well, that's the thing. While we can agree on flat shields when it comes to Late Roman ones, there have never been umbos found for curved shields. So that's why we figure that curved shields went out of fashion together with the rectangular ones. Most Late Roman shields were dished anyway.

My shield is flat for the umbo and then curves away. I'll get a pic to show you.

EDIT: Here is the pic:
[Image: IMG_0349.jpg]
I don't know if you can see it, but it goes straight for a while before curving off. The boss is flat, not curved, so it would fit on a flat shield or one like mine.

I just cut off the extras cloth, so here it is now: [Image: 05extraclothcutoff.jpg]
Eric

completely off-topic but that's a cool avatar Eric! Where did you get it?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
It's a famous picture of a Brush-Popper who came before me, I don't know his name, sorry.

EDIT: Sorry, in case some of you don't know, a Brush-Popper is a cowboy.
Eric

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield Patterns Website Longovicium 14 2,733 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman Shield Designs/Patterns (Late Republic-AD200) Mythos_Ruler 5 3,823 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Dutchhoplite
  What did the back of a Late Roman Shield look like? Poftim 6 1,812 10-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat