Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praetorian shield sizes\shape in the early third century
Thank you for your reply. 

Given what you say that Severus disbanded the praetorians, would it be reasonable to say that they were stripped of their weapons and shields and reused by those Pannonian legionaries who constituted the newly reformed loyal guard, so to speak.

With this in mind it would not be unreasonable to say that the curved oval shields traditionally with bolts, stars and moon emblems would still be in use by the newly reformed guard.

I am of the mind that the Romans reused equipment rather than discard it and it would not be unreasonable to say that a unit or cohort could have a mix of equipment in use but I am not sure it would extend to different shield patterns like oval and rectangular mixed as I think this might of interfered with the operational combat effectiveness and tactics at the time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Praetorian shield sizes\shape in the early third century - by Garys152 - 10-23-2016, 09:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,041 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  Early 5th Century Naval Battle Flavivs Aetivs 5 2,206 03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  XXX ulpia shield design 2nd century 1493541 2 2,336 12-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: 1493541