Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
actual use of "Attic" helmet by the roman soldiers
<br>
Are the "Attic type A" helmets those grossly over sized and crude things discovered at Pompeii? Those are weird things altogether. They are displayed (the last time I looked) along with the gladiatorial helmets in the Museo Archeologico de Napoli, but you would need to be "the Elephant man" to need a helmet the size of those.<br>
As well as in Robinson, they are also shown in Junkelmann's "Das Spiel mit dem Tod".<br>
<br>
Susan <p></p><i></i>
Suzy:<br>
I've wondered about those ugly suckers myself. I think they may have been worn by statues, or part of a monument, maybe a trophy of arms, rather than intended for real use. Junkelmann shows another sculptural helmet that couldn't have been worn at all. <p></p><i></i>
<br>
They obviously weren't meant for wearing. Their bowls measure c. 200mm by 310mm! Nobody normal has a head that size! The cheekplates are also riveted in place and don't move. Maybe they were "worn" by statues, yes. They certainly weren't worn by humans.<br>
<br>
Sue <p></p><i></i>
Suzy,<br>
regarding the Attic A's, they are actually from Herculaneum, and I believe the 30cm length in the catalogue is the overall length including the neckguard.<br>
The cheekpieces seem hinged in the normal fashion as well. These helmets actually look quite sharp with a crest attached as they were intended. I am sure they were intended for wear by "real" people.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
<br>
Frankly I'm amazed! I recall seeing them in Naples some years ago and thought they looked way oversize even there. I feel they also suffered from being displayed beside the comparatively elegant gladiatorial helmets. Since then I've only seen photos of the Attic A's and read a catalogue description.<br>
<br>
Sue<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attic Helmet found? Celtic505 1 899 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Last Post: jho
  Authenticity Attic Helmet in Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg LorenzoTergestino 10 2,254 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Use of the Attic Helmet Hugh Fuller 57 19,137 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs