Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Temple menorah
Hottoq, Jeroen,<br>
The concept of a fiery hell did not exist in Jewish theology until Greek influence on the culture coming with the conquest of Judea by Alexander the Great, but from the very beginning, there were the 'destroyer' dragons attributed to spew fire as recounted in Job. These are the creatures God threatened both Moses and Jonah with, and are also known as Seraphim, meaning fiery and winged serpents. There is probably a conection between these and the Egyptian crocodile headed monster (sometimes depicted as a more conventional dragon) that devoured the souls of the wicked. Jesus' description of hell probably meant the 'dragon' hell, when he referred to the immortal devouring worm (also in Jewish texts meaning a dragon), rather than the improbable tiny worm gnawing the body in the pagan Greek hell that never existed in Jewish thought before the Greek conquest. The Apocalypse of Baruch is believe to date from the early second century, and specifically describes heavenly dragons that devoured the wicked, and that hell was the belly of such dragons where souls were either destroyed completely or survived in torment. Dante's fanciful 'adventure in Hell' story, plus the renewed interest in classical culture in the late Medieval and early Renaissance periods popularized the underground, fiery Greek Hades-type hell of cartoons and fundamentalists and apparently is more acceptable today than the heavenly dragon servants of God described in the Bible - which is curious, for the Bible says Satan was both a dragon and a heavenly Cherubim servant, for the two are the same. Late Roman, Early Medieval religious thought recognized this, though it began to disappear, along with the belief in dragons in general, as time went on. Now we have the cartoon hell reigned over by the man-like devil with goatee and pitchfork.<br>
I suspect this book will be very controversial to those with pre-conceived beliefs in such things.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
I been away awhile, but couldn't resist a comment (wasn't this about a certain Temple menorah?).<br>
<br>
Dante's pitchfork wielding demons are not the Great Lucifer himself (in Inferno, bound in a lake of ice generated by his own beating wings). They are one of a troop of "police" demons in the Malebolge of the "Grafters" or "Barrators" or better known as corrupt politicians. The pitchforks keep the political scumbags submerged in boiling pitch: one of my favorite passages. They are intentionally comic, if really nasty; as their leader Malacoda (Evil-tail) uses a very interesting trumpet call to muster his decuri. (I've always thought Terry Gilliam used that well in the credits for "Holy Grail.")<br>
<br>
Dante's model for the geography and architecture of Hell was Vergil's Aeneid and Lake Avernus. So we're back to Rome. There are some interesting winged Etruscan demons (dieties?) which may, or may not, have had some influence on Roman "dragon" imagery.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
Togaman,<br>
I was referring to the modern stereotype Satan, and not Dante's, although Dante's pitchfork wielding demons have probably helped create the modern impression of Satan, which is a far departure from the original Cherub-Dragon. It says something of the esteem renaissance man had for Julius Caesar when we consider who Dante's Satan was forever tormenting.<br>
<br>
I would be interested in seeing your images of Etruscan dragons. I know of some that decorate Italo-Corinthian helmets along with the more common boars and lions, though these are not winged. For the most part, Roman dragons seem to be of two types, giant, usually bearded serpents, or long necked winged, legged 'Cetos' usually found in the water, and the direct prototype of western Medieval dragons. (This is what appears to be on the temple menorah on the Arch of Titus).<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Dan wrote:<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>It says something of the esteem renaissance man had for Julius Caesar when we consider who Dante's Satan was forever tormenting.<hr><br>
<br>
Renaissance? Dante was writing in the early Fourteenth Century. He was certainly a "renaissance man" in one sense of that word, but many of the great minds of the <em>medieval</em> period were.<br>
<br>
The so-called "Renaissance" is over-rated enough as it is. Please don't let it swallow up that medieval genius Dante as well.<br>
<br>
Anyway, back to dragons and the Menorah ... <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions.<br>
<br>
Come to my [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/member/Gunthigg/Thiudareiks" target="top]Stathigg[/url] in [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/City/23413" target="top]Germania[/url] at the [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/" target="top]Ancient Worlds[/url] community.</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Daniel,<br>
I'm curious about your comment on the 'fiery Hell' being taken from Greek religion into Judaism - but I fear this would take this thread well off topic, so I'll post my question in that section instead! <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Howdy Dan,<br>
<br>
Your book on Dragons sounds fascinating, especially the<br>
links between biblical and Roman cavalry Dragons. When do you expect to publish it? (Put me down for a copy.)<br>
<br>
Ambrosius <p></p><i></i>
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Daniel,<br>
<br>
"I don't think there is any biblical evidence... angels turning into snakes."<br>
<br>
I refer you to the Book of Revelations, Chapter 12, verse 9: "that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan".<br>
<br>
Could this be where Milton got his idea from?<br>
<br>
In fact, Satan is personified as a dragon thoughout these passages. <p></p><i></i>
Ambrosius,<br>
<br>
The book is now virtually completed, though still searching for illustrations and things. depending on the speed of the publisher it should be available before the summer. I will be sure to announce it here.<br>
<br>
The premise of the book is simple, essentially, if the God of the Judao-Christian religions is authentic, this book proves that the highest 'servants' of that God (always referred to as creatures, and the only ones having wings), the Cherubim, Seraphim and Destroyers, are those entities which over the centuries, (and claimed to be seen by thousands of people the world over), are what are commonly regarded as "Dragons", and their authenticity, is why they occur in religions and myths the world over .<br>
<br>
Carus, I never said Jehovah turned the human-like Angels into serpents, I believe that was Milton's idea. My research suggests that the aforementioned heavenly creatures, the Cherubim, Seraphim and Destroyers, mentioned in the Bible and elaborated on in other ancient religious texts were originally created as large and powerful reptile-like creatures (God even rides on them in the Bible) and are what we refer to today as dragons. The evidence for this is very clear as you will see.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Here be dragons! And no sign of the Roman army.<br>
<br>
And therefore this thread is being moved out of H&A and into Off-Topic.<br>
<br>
Enjoy--<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson