Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International living history standards
(07-20-2016, 03:40 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Hello Damian,

You can be a reenactor just by putting on a costume. Why not?

If I dress up like a ballerina, will I be one? No, becasue I don't know how to dance.

If I dress up like a greece hoplite, will I be greece reanactor? Of course not because I have no idea about Greece military equipment or archeology.

Or if I dress up like a car engineer and people will come to me to fix car but I have no clue what to do (yet people pay me for this, just like they pay reanactors to show up)

In my dictioniary, reanacting is way more than "wearing costume". You have to have some knowledge. Not anything special from archeology but you at least need to know what kind of equipment you are using.

Imagine you are on some event and someone asks you abiut your gear.
What helmet is this?
Why you have short swords not long?
Why you have mail/segmentata?

etc... etc...

You must be able to answer such questions. It's a most basic knowledge you expect from reanactor. Can you imagine reanactor who doesn't know what equipment he has or anything about period he reanacts?

About the money - money is the smallest problem here. It's about your attitude. People want everything of the shell. What's the problem with making character for years? You have only 500$? Good. Get ncie shoes, tunic etc. Next year you will have another 500$ and you will upgrade yourself. Maybe sword, maybe armor.
Damian

Messages In This Thread
RE: International living history standards - by Damianus Albus - 07-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO richsc 0 1,078 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Last Post: richsc
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,040 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Why do you reenactment / Living History caiusbeerquitius 48 16,577 07-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Damianus Albus