Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO
Last year I began pondering the perennial question of how to improve the impressions of living history groups in general. None of us has the ability to dictate any standards, and that may be an insurmountable obstacle. But if standards were to be applied, is there any other means to do so? 

If the goal of the public oriented groups among us is primarily education, then it may be that a group that would value historical accuracy and that is outside the control of reenactment groups would be that kind of mechanism. 

I could only turn up one eduational group that actually has international educational standards: the International Baccalaureate Organization, or IBO. I approached them with a proposal for a pilot project that would begin to work out how such an international standard would work, and they agreed that an effort that got students out of the classroom and engaged would be highly valuable. 

For the living history side, a permanent professional Roman site like Archeon would have been my first choice to link up with students, but since I’m in the Washington DC area the practical choices were local. This year’s IB standards were not oriented to the classical period, but more modern. Colonial Mount Vernon has a permanent and professional staff, and agreed that this was very much in their charter. Local IB schools agreed to the pilot, and two schools sent their students for day long visits.

The attached case study is the result. I’d appreciate your thoughts on this, and how it could apply to those of you who are primarily educationally oriented. Thoughts for a follow up case study are welcome. There are IB schools in the Netherlands who might be good candidates, as well as others around Europe, but that is difficult for me to research and coordinate from the US. 

https://app.box.com/s/xtfv5rlxux9t8sdnglr7k2lz1es41i1i
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,026 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  International living history standards richsc 22 7,378 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luca
  Why do you reenactment / Living History caiusbeerquitius 48 16,446 07-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Damianus Albus