Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan\'s Column
Well noted; I missed that on my way through looking for Auxillaries with their Swords on the left. Puts me me in mind of the Josephus discussion from a few months ago concerning the wearing of Swords. Interestingly, there appear to be a number of Dacians wearing Swords on the right as well as on the left. I also hadn't noticed the presence of Axes quite so much on the relief. It's so nice to be able to see all the images in their full context.

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Quote:there's also a scene involving a Dacian attack on a Roman fort where the auxiliary defenders also wear their swords on the left

Given that those auxiliaries must have originally had spears or swords in their hands, it makes me wonder if the infamous rings on top of the helmets had plumes in them, and the rings were a way for the plumes to be attached securely?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:it makes me wonder if the infamous rings on top of the helmets had plumes in them, and the rings were a way for the plumes to be attached securely?

Don't be daft: as Coulston pointed out to me long ago, they're there so that the suspended troops can be swung down in racks and deployed like droids in Star Wars I (or was it II?) from a large machine... and that is where that strange device in Scene CXIV comes in. No sillier than any of the other nonsense people deduce from the Column ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Don't be daft: as Coulston pointed out to me long ago, they're there so that the suspended troops can be swung down in racks and deployed like droids in Star Wars I (or was it II?) from a large machine...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's another website that I often visit..

http://cheiron.mcmaster.ca/~trajan/
Quote:....No sillier than any of the other nonsense people deduce from the Column ;-) )

Indeed. I mean, only a complete numpty would wonder if those rings on the helmets were for attaching plumes. Next thing he knows, he's wondering if some of the helmets are based on Italic A's or B's.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Peroni:108k388a Wrote:there's also a scene involving a Dacian attack on a Roman fort where the auxiliary defenders also wear their swords on the left

Given that those auxiliaries must have originally had spears or swords in their hands, it makes me wonder if the infamous rings on top of the helmets had plumes in them, and the rings were a way for the plumes to be attached securely?

Nice Idea really. Hmm... this gets better and better.. soon we can do a good interpretation of theise auxillae. As I set out to do one year ago. I might get there in the end...hehe
Hi,
when you're talking about helmets with rings on tops of the helmets... what do you think about this one? I don't read French, so I don't know, what Feugère writes about that helmet.
Greetings
Alexandr
What he meant was:

did the rings form a backing for some kind of bronze appliques, like bronze plumes.. just like bronze swords.. which were applied at one time...ON THE MONUMENT!

mind you, it took a very long time before people understood that some of the holes in the walls of the amphitheatrum flavium were actually for bronze lettering!!!

so read again and dont start miffing immediately about his questions ok?

M.VIB.M.

PS Jasper... quite some nice Bireme pics on the column!!!

PSII Alexandr... great article and find!!!!!!!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Hi,
when you're talking about helmets with rings on tops of the helmets... what do you think about this one? I don't read French, so I don't know, what Feugère writes about that helmet.
Greetings
Alexandr

It's in his book, 'Weapons of the Romans';

"Noticing that among the bronze artefacts there were some circular plaques with rings attached, Comarmond concluded that these were linked with the reliefs on some ancient monuments, such as the columns of Trajan and Marcus Aurelius., which featured helmets topped with a ring. On this evidence alone Comarmond described these objects as helmet-crests in his catalogues, though today they are known to be parts of the harnesses fitted to horses and other animals; and having acquired a Republican period helmet with the top missing, he did not hesitate to mount one of the locally found rings onto it."
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
still doesnt give you any clue to the use of bronze fittings on the monument.... and therefore the rings on top of the helmets on the monument...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Indeed. I mean, only a complete numpty would wonder if those rings on the helmets were for attaching plumes.

Particularly if said numpty hadn't noticed that some helmets are given crests on the Column ;-) Seriously, though, the rings are always portayed in the same way whatever the aspect of the head and helmet to which they are attached so it is at least a possibility (the fact that some crests are shown is comparable to the fact that some weapons are sculpted and not separately attached).

Quote:Next thing he knows, he's wondering if some of the helmets are based on Italic A's or B's.

Surely not!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Martin wrote..
Quote:soon we can do a good interpretation of theise auxillae. As I set out to do one year ago. I might get there in the end...hehe

then you'll be needing one of these to attach your crest ring to then..
The Toledo helmet (Fake)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... toledo.jpg

Or.. from Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana website..
http://www.legioxxx.it/Milites/Foderaro%20F.htm
Quote:"Noticing that among the bronze artefacts there were some circular plaques with rings attached, Comarmond concluded that these were linked with the reliefs on some ancient monuments, such as the columns of Trajan and Marcus Aurelius., which featured helmets topped with a ring. On this evidence alone Comarmond described these objects as helmet-crests in his catalogues, though today they are known to be parts of the harnesses fitted to horses and other animals; and having acquired a Republican period helmet with the top missing, he did not hesitate to mount one of the locally found rings onto it."
Thank you for the explanation, Tarbicus.
Quote:Martin wrote..
Quote:soon we can do a good interpretation of theise auxillae. As I set out to do one year ago. I might get there in the end...hehe

then you'll be needing one of these to attach your crest ring to then..
The Toledo helmet (Fake)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... toledo.jpg

Or.. from Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana website..
http://www.legioxxx.it/Milites/Foderaro%20F.htm

Hehehehehe Tongue twisted:
So what were the rings for? To hang the helmet when marching? Evidently they put them on there for something.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,664 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,384 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,207 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus