Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Living History for the Visually Impaired
Ok,<br>
<br>
I am thinking of putting together an ancient roman impression as a civilian, most likely with some form of fishing or other maritime trade influence. I have two main problems, but I'll only cover the one for now. This is that I wear glasses. I wear reproduction frames for my Civil War living history, and also for my colonial living history. I can barely see and my eyes hurt like heck if I don't wear glasses, and I can't wear contacts. I know that glasses aren't authentic, and my aim is for a high level of authenticity, but would I get shunned for wearing them? I'd prefer to get contacts just to use for ancient events, but I can't get contacts that work. I could go for short periods without my glasses, but every hour or two I'd have to put them back on. What do other living historians that require glasses do?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Adam C. <p></p><i></i>
Salve! Glad you joined RAT. I have glasses, and am quite nearsighted. I can wear contacts but don't. My eyes however don't hurt if I don't have corrective lenses, so I just leave them off for the most part. I have to squint at some visitors, which sometimes is not a bad thing. I will put my glasses on at times during the day anyway, just to see what I've been missing around me. Generally, no one in our group will wear them during "open hours" but as long as it's in between events it's not so bad. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I personally don't see too much of an issue for someone who needs glasses to see if they are in an [ancient] kit.<br>
<br>
If you are able to do without the glasses while in kit and in public, then that's terrific, but if you are unable to see properly or gauge distance, et cetera, then I say ignore the "true" authenticity and wear the glasses (or if contacts don't work)<br>
<br>
IMHO, it's an issue of safety, if you can't see what's going on, you could mistake someone's actions, or you could stumble or bump into something (even worse if that something is sharp and pointy), so at that, if you cannot use any other alternative means, I say wear your glasses... I'd at least hope that most people who come to our events will have just an inkling enough of a clue to figure out if you absolutely didn't need to wear the glasses, you'd not be wearing them, and that ancient peoples didn't have glasses.<br>
<br>
...besides, to be truly "authentic" we Romans would all have to speak Latin, and noone but other Latin-speakers would be able to understand what we're saying, and that means we'd be alienating a large majority of our audience and potential new recruits. (and those of us who don't know much Latin, like myself, would have to consider a new hobby, and that's no fun)<br>
<br>
It's the same reason I explain why I have ductape on the bottom of my Caligae - It's a Personal Safety Device - so I don't fall on my buttockus and look like a doofus, or worse, hurt myself (because I nearly blew out my knee the one time I did slip and fall) and I explain that, obviously, Romans didn't have ductape, and had to be careful of what they walked on.<br>
<br>
If you're with a group, I'd talk about this with your [commander] and figure out the happy medium. If you're solo, well, do what you think is best. <p></p><i></i>
Guys,<br>
<br>
Thank you for replying to my query. I'll just try to go without as much and as long as I can, and definitely explain to the spectators that they did not have corrective lenses back in the day. Thanks for your help.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Adam <p></p><i></i>
I have to agree that safety always comes first. Better that you're there in glasses too, than not there. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
A couple of thoughts:-<br>
-In the Vindolanda papers , they mention several times legionaries off sick due to an eye infection, which were (presumably) bandaged up- would this be an option for your Roman impression? It would also be a visual reminder to spectators that you should not be expected to see them or objects.<br>
(This was a strength report dated 18th May of the First Cohort of Tungrians, commanded by Julius Verecundus, prefect. Of a total of 752, including 6 centurions, 10 were suffering from inflammation of the eyes. With others posted elsewhere absent, or sick, only 265 of the cohort were actually available for active service in Vindolanda on that day)<br>
-In a television programme on the Colosseum, they mentioned the Romans using smoked glass to shield their eyes against the sun. I have been unable to find any other data on this, but maybe others can help?<br>
<br>
Finally, great for you that you are going for it, despite the disability. One colleague of mine who is totally blind has just attained the world land speed driving record (driving alone)with a top speed of 177 mph. Really inspiring.<br>
Good luck!<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
I'm worried about my own eyes at the moment ... I can't seem to wear my contact lenses for more than a day without suffering for it. I'm off to the opticians to get it sorted (hopefully).<br>
<br>
If he says 'sorry, no more contact lenses for you ..' then I'm up a creek without a paddle as far as re-enactment is concerned. <p><strong>Paul Elliott/<em>Caius Fortunatus</em></strong><br>
<br>
3rd Century Auxiliary (<em>Cohors Quinta Gallorum</em>)<br>
<br>
4th Century Legionnary (<em>Comitatus</em>)<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/zozergames/interactive.html</p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
AVETE,
I am also visualy impaired (blind) and I am a member of Roman military group :-) -) )

best regards from Prague
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"
That's pretty cool Radka. Good to see you can still participate!

Legion: TBD
I have fairly poor eyesight (nearsighted) and cannot operate in most situations without glasses. I had a real struggle with contact lenses at first and continued to persevere to find a type of lens (soft daily disposables in my case) that worked (after a fashion) for me.

The question i would ask is when you say you 'cannot' wear contacts is that because an optician has told you that doing so would damage your eyes? or is it more that they do not entirely correct your natural vision? are you able to undertake some activities without glasses?

I am under strict instructions form my optician not to drive in my prescribed lenses (as they do not correct my vision sufficiently, the legal eyesight requirements for driving in the UK are not particularly strict, i fall significantly below the required standard in lenses) and i do have some fairly significant depth perception issues as the lenses fail to correct much of my astigmatism (i don't cross buisy roads wearing them either). Reading and close work are both a struggle (i play with little bits of metal on a regular basis anyway and live with the headache).

The reality for me is that i have learned to fight in my contacts and i actually struggle if wearing glasses (as i naturally correct for my vision/depth perception issues so tend to hit too hard or miss entierly)

One thign i have found is not putting them on first thing in the morning, then leaving them off all day really helps my eyes cope on the rare occasions that i do go contact-less (as i do occasionally have to do if my eyes are excessively irritated by my contacts. Those are days where i sit around and talk with big blurry things all day (and find an appropriate seeing eye five-year old)

Given that i re-enact in the UK i am of a similar mindset to most serious living history enthusiasts over here that glasses for a period this early are not an option. They are just too obvious a modern item to be acceptable as part of a LH kit. This is a cultural thing to an extent (certainly my experience on the continent seems to suggest it's seen as less of an issue there).

The question should of course be targeted at the group you are looking to join, their own standards may or may not permit glasses. And then not fibbing to the public if they ask is of course an important thing (if you do decided glasses are a must) no the romans did not have glasses, i wear these because i cannot see. Having seen a number of people claim that glasses are authentic for the high-medieval period their approach to discussing this with visitors massively distorts the reality of the impact of significant visual impairment in the roman/medieval world.

2d
N.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO richsc 0 1,078 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Last Post: richsc
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,044 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  International living history standards richsc 22 7,565 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luca