Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Clothing on Kosika Vessels
Hi Alan and Holly
 On page 194/16 of the article the author states that it is believed that this vessel was not produced in a North-Pontic workshop and the origin of this design of vessel is from North India produced in the highly Hellenized art of the Kushan empire which was influenced by both Parthian and Greco-Scythian metalwork. I know the author is talking about the design and production of the vessel itself but this peculiar lapel may be a Kushan (Yueh-chih) design thing or a peculiarity of the Siraces or Aorsi, although if it was a facet of the latter two tribes then the artists of the Pontic Greek cities would have noticed and added this feature to their artwork. If anything it confirms that there must have been some healthy trade or interraction going on between China, India and the Pontic cities. Also I notice that the images of the riders with the contus, as well as the armoured one seem to have a wrist guard/bracer which seems to be part of the garment on their right wrists, maybe meant to help support the rider holding the rear of the contus for balance while riding while the fallen horseman who I assume is a horse archer has a wrist guard/bracer on his left wrist.

Also looking at the horse in Kosika Man 4, it appears that it is a stallion. Western sources always mentioned that Sarmatian warriors preferred riding geldings as they were less excitable in combat. Maybe that particular rider is involved in a hunt, taking the opportunity of using his favourite riding horse as it seems that the horses in the other images are geldings. Smile Smile
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarmatian Clothing on Kosika Vessels - by Michael Kerr - 02-21-2016, 12:38 AM