Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Clothing on Kosika Vessels
Hi, Holly

I believed they were inaccurate because the initial illustration you posted was by a modern artist, and you didn't post the originals from the large two-handled vessel. I have a number of original illustrations, but they don't show the "flap." Obviously, we are looking at kaftan variant not seen in previous Western Scythian, Issyk Saka, and Pazyryk Saka illustrations.

Thanks for the link to the PDF with Barca's article. I'm familiar with the Porogi grave; and according to Barca, these cups and vessels are dated from the 1st century to the 2nd century. I believe they are Aorsi, one of the two Alan lead groups to enter northern regions (Kuban to the Don) from Yancai/Alanliu in the lower Syr Darya. The Aorsi appear to be an offshoot of the Yuezhi/Arsi... which we're studying on the "Origin of the Alans" thread here on RAT. Notice the presence of a moustache and lack of beards, shown on illustrations from Bactria straight back to the Altai. Also, we see at least one crenellation on a horse's mane (going back to the Altai and Han China), and the "flying gallop" (also found on the "hunting scene" half of the Orlat belt buckle, attributed to the Yuezhi).

The illustrated "flap" or exaggerated collar may be an "opened" part of the kaftan that could be somehow closed during colder weather. Anyway, good luck figuring how to sew a reproduction Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarmatian Clothing on Kosika Vessels - by Alanus - 02-20-2016, 11:14 PM