Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be the standard vexillation size?
Nathan, I went away and thought about your comments. It made me question whether the two cohort organisation had a different name from vexillation but was referred to as a vexillation when detached from the legion.

Well that created a eureka moment or major epiphany. I have a small collection left of research I cannot find a home for in the book. One of those items held the clue to what the two cohort organisation would be termed. I did the maths in relation to the Pythagorean system and it a perfect match for over 1,000 years. Also the entomology of the word as found in the primary sources categorically confirms it. For the Romans, any grouping of maniples can legally be called a cohort. As with the rest of my research, I have found the Romans lack nouns for the various cohort organisations within a legion.

I am changing the term vexillation to signa cohort of signum cohort. A signa can mean a standard, banner or ensign. However, the word signa can also mean an orbis, the zodiac, a group of stars or constellation. As the size of a cohort is determined by the movement of the Pythagorean zodiac, I believe I am on safe ground.

Thanks for changing my way of thinking regarding the vexillation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would be the standard vexillation size? - by Steven James - 03-11-2016, 12:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vexillation deployment question dadlamassu 2 368 07-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dadlamassu
  The Vexillation antiochus 40 6,797 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs