Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexillation deployment question
From my reading it appears that when a full Early Imperial Legion (Primate period) is deployed for battle the Aqulia is carried by the First Cohort generally on the right of the line.  So far I have not been able to discover where the Vexillum itself would be deployed.  For example a Vexillation of 4 cohorts, let us say Cohorts 3 to 6, with 2 cohorts of auxilliary infantry and one ala of Auxiliary cavalry is sent off on a mission or as a reinforcement to a field army.  

My assumption, following the principal that the vexillum would take the place of the Aquila and be carried by the senior Cohort (No 3 in this case?) on the right of the line.  Do you think this likely?

Who is likely to command the vexillation?  The Tribunus Laticlavius or a senior Tribunus Angusticlavius?

If this has been answered before then please point me the thread.

Thanks
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
(07-01-2021, 02:44 PM)dadlamassu Wrote: My assumption, following the principal that the vexillum would take the place of the Aquila and be carried by the senior Cohort (No 3 in this case?) on the right of the line.  Do you think this likely?

That seems a pretty good assumption, although I'm unware of any direct evidence for it!

(07-01-2021, 02:44 PM)dadlamassu Wrote: Who is likely to command the vexillation?  The Tribunus Laticlavius or a senior Tribunus Angusticlavius?

Vexillationes were of differing sizes, and men of differing rank were appointed to lead them. During the 1st century, it seems to have been most common for one of the legion tribunes - or even an equestrian officer from another unit - or perhaps the primus pilus of one of the legions involved to be appointed as commander of a larger detachment (vexillations for some reason seem often to have been composed of men drawn from several different legions rather than just one).

In the case of smaller detachments, a centurion may have been appointed as praepositus vexillationis.

This 2004 paper by Geoffrey Tully covers the topic of vexillation command quite well: Did Centurions lead Detachments of their Legions in Wartime?
Nathan Ross
(07-01-2021, 05:05 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Vexillationes were of differing sizes, and men of differing rank were appointed to lead them. During the 1st century, it seems to have been most common for one of the legion tribunes - or even an equestrian officer from another unit - or perhaps the primus pilus of one of the legions involved to be appointed as commander of a larger detachment (vexillations for some reason seem often to have been composed of men drawn from several different legions rather than just one).

In the case of smaller detachments, a centurion may have been appointed as praepositus vexillationis.

This 2004 paper by Geoffrey Tully covers the topic of vexillation command quite well: Did Centurions lead Detachments of their Legions in Wartime?
Thank you very much for the answer and the link to the paper.  A very interesting and useful read.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile What would be the standard vexillation size? LonginusXXI 25 9,598 03-11-2016, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  The Vexillation antiochus 40 6,701 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs