Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivory gladius grips
Ave et salutatio Fraterii:<br>
<br>
I have a section of elephant ivory that I will be having made into a grip for a Fulham-pattern gladius. Does anyone have advice on how to keep the ivory from cracking during manufacturing or after the grip is attached?<br>
<br>
Salve et magna gratias:<br>
<br>
Gaius Octavius Drusus <p></p><i></i>
Michael Garrity
Damn! Where did you get your hands on some ivory? (notice my envious stare....)<br>
<br>
I've got a gladius handle made of elk horn that I keep from cracking by occasionally applying neatsfoot oil to it. Neatsfoot is a natural (animal based) oil -- usually for leather care -- available anyplace that sells good shoe care products.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Caius<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave et salutatio:<br>
<br>
I got the ivory from a company here in the U.S called Cue Components. They obtain it form estate sales of tusks and other ivory items that were acquired decades ago. They use it to produce high-end items for billiard tables (pool cues, balls, etc).<br>
Mind you, their prices are steep. The piece I obtained is a round section 1.375" in diameter by 4" long; it was $75.00 per linear inch for a total of $300.00.<br>
<br>
Vale:<br>
<br>
Gaius Octavius Drusus <p></p><i></i>
Michael Garrity
Ave,<br>
<br>
It's my understanding that just like is the case for many materials, it is changes in humidity that causes ivory to crack. Therefore, a light natural oil, like Neatsfoot Oil as Caius suggests, should be a good way to keep it from drying-out. I've also heard of using baby oil or coconut oil. I would think too that you would have to be sure it's evenly hydrated after it's been carved- BEFORE applying any oil- keep it in a 50% humidity environment for a while first.<br>
<br>
Your ivory source should be able to give you the best advice on how to work with and care for it- afterall, they work with it all the time, yes? They've had it for decades, so must know how to care for it, and if they manufacture items from this old ivory, they surely too know how to protect it after it's been worked. I'd definitely ask them.<br>
<br>
Matt<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Hilts Ivory? Doc 21 4,255 03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS