Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praetorian outfit help
So I bought a praetorian helmet. And I really want to make a complete outfit. I already have a gladius fit for cavalry, and a tunic. Any ideas on where to go next? I was thinking a sagum as cloak. But I'm really unsure on the armour. As far as I know the sculptures showing this helmet shows a cuirass, but I would prefer a hamata. Would that be very wrong?

Thoughts are appreciated..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There are reenactment groups doing Praetorians.Perhaps you should google them and inspire there.But in general-you should mainly follow ordinary legionaries as Praetorian battle gear was very likely basically the same in the field of battle(although considerably higher Praetorian pay might allowed them to use the finest and more elaborate versions of equipment used by the common legionaries.Tacitus briefly suggests that Legionaries,Auxiliaries and Praetorians all had their distinctive equipment but sadly he adds no bigger datails to it ).Praetorians possibly had also kind of speciffic gear used at ceremonials but we are in darness of how this was used and if it was used also while on field campaign or not.And you are not staiting one very important detail-Praetorian of what century?As with any other thing in the Roman military Praetorians were not never-changing universal Hollywood Roman soldiers but their equipment was also changing with time.That helmet you bought is controversial because:1)it is based on later 1st century relief only,2)Soldiers it depicts are very likely Praetorian officers rather than common Praetorians(who would use the very same or almost the same gear as normal legionaries).It is known that at the split of 2nd with 3rd century Praetorians favored scale armour but if the same is true for earlier times is unknown.
Right now, there is a series of articles in the French magazine, called Praetorians. The first article talks about the equipment in the first century; the second article talks about the second century Praetorian equipment; The third article, to be published at the end of the year, will speak equipment Praetorian cavalry. There are photos and stunning paintings.
Quote:Right now, there is a series of articles in the French magazine, called Praetorians. The first article talks about the equipment in the first century; the second article talks about the second century Praetorian equipment; The third article, to be published at the end of the year, will speak equipment Praetorian cavalry. There are photos and stunning paintings.

Do you have a website link?
ALA I BATAVORUM
This is the link:

https://www.lelivrechezvous.fr/nos-revue...orien.html

It is in French but, if you go to Google and enter 'Pretorien Antiquite et Moyen Age', you will get links with the option of translating the page.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine cataphract outfit FarDarter 6 2,253 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  auxilliary outfit Tom Johannesson 3 1,421 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs