Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine cataphract outfit
I'm not sure whether or not Byzantine questions go in the Roman index, but oh well.

I am currently working on re-creating a Byzantine clibanarii or cataphract for a Renaissance Fair. Absolute historicity has already gone out the window; the fair is taking place in England during the reign of Bloody Mary but those hosting the fair have been more than happy to accept a Byzantine noble. However, I would like to make an attempt to make a fairly accurate Byzantine cataphract like those seen during the Komnenian Restoration.

Making all the scale and mail armor required for both myself and my horse is going to be hard enough, and any advice on that would be welcome. However, my question is regarding the armaments used; I have read that Byzantine cataphracts have both bows and lances, and when the lance was not in use it was blacked in the boot of the cavalryman. This seems rather ridiculous to me; a twelve-foot xyston would be rather hard to hold while using a bow, and would the sarouter not simply poke a hole on the boot? If anyone could clear this up for me, this would be greatly appreciated.
Lykia Lamellars sells several sets of Byzantine Lamellae Hauberks:

http://www.lykialamellars.eu/lamellar.html
Byzantine heavy cavalrymen, by the Komnenian period did not usually employ bows. They were lancers, pretty much pure and simple. As secondary weapons they employed swords and maces. A description of the Battle of Sirmium in the middle of the 12th century says that after the lances were broken the Byzantine cavalry drew their swords, when these were blunted their maces were resorted to.

Earlier writings stated that kataphraktoi used two swords, a curved sabre, the paramerion and the straight spathion. Using two swords might be visually impressive.

Any shortfalls in accurate body armour could be disguised by having a quilted epilorikion made. This was a soft armour worn over the metal armor. A fancy one made of coloured silk, or silk-like synthetic material could look very arresting. Face covering mail would also look good.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Cool! :woot:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Lykia Lamellars sells several sets of Byzantine Lamellae Hauberks:

http://www.lykialamellars.eu/lamellar.html
Do you have any idea as to how much these might cost?

Urselius, thanks a lot! A lance I will use, then. I have one further question, and this is what to make the lance out of. I found a wooden pruning pole about the right length to make a spear out of, but I fear it may snap all too easily if made out of anything lighter than ash.
The Byzantines are also thought to have made spear shafts from cane.

Have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komnenian_Byzantine_army

Unlike many Wikipedia articles it is good - I wrote most of it - it contains a reasonable summary of present knowledge on Komnenian period arms and armour. It also has a link near the bottom (in External Links) to Tim Dawson's Levantia site, where there are many reproductions of Byzantine kit.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
I can vouch for the quality of most of the Late Roman Articles. I like to keep the idiots from messing with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Praetorian outfit help VanDerJoik 4 1,791 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  auxilliary outfit Tom Johannesson 3 1,410 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs