Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn\'t Romans fought in single line?
Bryan,

I agree 100% about the need for individuals to have enough space to fight, every time I have seen a unit try to engage with a crowd that is prepared to fight while they are as bunched up as the Ukrainians were in that video they have ultimately lost. It is a very common problem in all the Former Soviet Republics. But I disagree about the requirement to have gaps between units. I have seen well trained units work literally side by side on the same street many, many times and not have any issues.

Some people in rioting crowds will enter the gaps between units and exploit them (I will explain why it is only some people in a moment) and when it works for them others will join them. This clip from Moldova will demonstrate what I mean, the relevant bit starts at 1:55 where they get into the gap between two units, surround each in turn and rout them.

Moldovan Parliament riots

In the video of the Russian soccer hooligans the reason they stay in such a compact mass is to do with the number of what we call 'hardcore personalities' in the group. They are the ones with the right type of aggressive personality to be the ones that will actually be first into the fight. The remainder are what we refer to as 'hangers on' who will join in when they think it is safe for them to do so. They are staying tightly together as group, behind the hardcore, for the confidence it gives them. It is a very natural reaction to being in a violent situation and with no training, tactics, chain of command, disciplinary system or anything other than peer pressure to keep them there they have no real incentive to get into the 'front rank' unless they think it is safe to do so.

The major reason for the turning motion as they fight is that the majority of people are right handed and individuals with little training will do almost all of their striking with their dominant hand/foot. When the front of both groups are all swinging with their right hands and kicking with their right foot they are almost all moving forward behind the blow, in the direction the blow went. They don't let me use a spear at work (although sometimes it would have been nice :evil: ) but the Greek phalanx turning as it fights is probably caused by the same thing.
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.

Messages In This Thread
Why didn\'t Romans fought in single line? - by Sempronius Densus - 08-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Roman fought the most number of battles ? Theodosius the Great 8 2,064 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Why didn\'t the Romans conquer Scotland? AureliusFalco 18 9,852 05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Galearii - military slaves who fought Tarbicus 5 2,476 04-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Last Post: drsrob