Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Roman fought the most number of battles ?
Avete,

I'm not sure which Roman general fought the most number of battles in history. But I'm sure it must be someone from Late Antiquity or after. Someone who spent most of his life with or in the army. Off the top of my head I would guess someone like Constantine the Great or Heraclius. Who do you think are the most likely contenders for the title of most battle hardened Roman commander regardless of successful outcomes or size of battles ?

~Theo
Jaime
Caesar is one I can think of, I'd also put Aetius on that list, as well as maybe Belisarius.Maybe Trajan, maybe Julian.
Stilicho perhaps?
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Maybe, off the top of my head I can only think of about 10 battles for Stilicho, while for Caesar I can think of around 20.
Caesar is definately up there, agreed. Some 10 odd years of constant campaigning is hard to beat.

Aetius also sounds very likely.

Julian? Interesting, given his short reign. I guess he did fight a great number of skirmishes in Germany. So, who knows?

But I was thinking more along the lines of the original Tetrarchs, like Galerius.

~Theo
Jaime
Hmm... Aurelian and Constantius Chlorus maybe?

Aetius had... 1, 2, 3... 18 off the top of my head. Maybe 1-2 more.
I'd go with Caesar, but what about Maximinus? :-?
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Surely Constantius II must be the strongest contender?

He was one of the longest reigning Emperors and fought campaigns before he became Emperor and its likely it was Constantius who defeated the Goths, forcing the treaty Constantine imposed on them, and not Constantine himself. He fought a number of wars against the Sasanids and campaigned across the Rhine and Danube. He also fought possibly the largest battle between two Roman armies in 351 when he confronted Magnentius at Mursa.

He defeated Allemanni, Sarmatians, Quadi, Limogantes, Goths, and Sasanids, and held the eastern frontier together despite repeated invasions by Sharpur II.

A much maligned and misunderstood man.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Constantius was much more better emperor then how he is often seen in the shadow of more famous and polpular Julian and Mursa was deffinitely one of the greatest battles fought between Romans but I think biggest battle ever fought between Romans was battle of Philippi in 42 BC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number of Walled Cities in the Roman Empire Eleatic Guest 6 1,340 06-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Why didn\'t Romans fought in single line? utku 44 8,920 08-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Densus
  How would Roman scouts number an opposing force? Marja 6 2,454 11-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Last Post: john m roberts