max. draw length: 30"
brace height: 8"
price: 300 EUR
-decoration /painting/
is plus 45 EUR
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Read carefully description on this website.

For 300 euro you can get TURKISH BOW BASE , which is made of fiber glass, covered with leather (to hide fiber glass material)

If you want exact replica, made of natural components (wood, horn etc). You have to look at TURKISH EXTRA III, which cost 1050 euro without painting.

I thought that we are talking about replicas. But of course this BASE version can be as a substitute for beginners for trainings etc.
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
Greetings,
Incidentially Sassanian was online just now....
I guess someone misread Persian for Parthian......but check out the rather nice picture at the bottom of this page.... :?
Parthian [url:2g5ucpht]http://www.iranchamber.com/history/parthians/parthian_army.php[/url]
Sassanian [url:2g5ucpht]http://www.iranchamber.com/history/sassanids/sassanian_army.php[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:on a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would it be to make a functional, period composite bow with bone tips and all?

Arbeia Museum are having one commisioned. I believe it is costing around £2000. Even Grozer does not use real sinew. I have no doubt you can cheaper outside the UK. Finland, I have been told is the place to get one??

Andrew
Quote:
Quote:on a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would it be to make a functional, period composite bow with bone tips and all?

Arbeia Museum are having one commisioned. I believe it is costing around £2000. Even Grozer does not use real sinew. Andrew

Doesn't he? I thought that the Type III bow (the one that costs E1,000)was made with sinew. That's why it takes nearly a year to make. 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Hi Ambrosius,

I was told he did not, but if you have enquired and that is what he said - fair enough. Big Grin That would certainly explain the price. The Turkish III bow certainly has a Roman shape, though the laths don't look like they are horn.

The Arbeia bow I believe is going to take even longer than a year to make. Although for the £2000 they might be getting the arrows as well? I shall enquire.

Andrew
Quote:The Arbeia bow I believe is going to take even longer than a year to make. Although for the £2000 they might be getting the arrows as well? I shall enquire. Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I'm afraid I have to admit that I couldn't afford one of Csaba's super-duper sinew bows (with birch-bark/snakeskin cover) either. I had to
settle for a regular one customised with horn tips and grip. But I think
you can ask him to make any variation you want, to suit your pocket.
He does have an outlet in this country - Eagle Archery.

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
So far we have been talking about recurve bows, which certainly horse archers and Hamian auxilia would have carried. But is there not a case for Western auxilia to carry "self bows"- shorter version of a medieval long bow, tipped with horn? I suspect that German and Gallic auxilia would have carried these as their "native weapons" as opposed to the more Eastern recurve bows.

Cheers

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I would suggest that looking at the type of weapons that continued to be used in various areas of the Empire, AFTER the fall to see what 'influence' there might have been- that is to say if the Romans brought any non-indigenous technology that was notably superior to be made in a new area, I'd expect that technology could have continued to be used in the area after them. Surely weapons like bows could be made just about anywhere, and would likely have been made everywhere to arm at least the Auxilia, so if the Romans transplanted, say, experts in eastern composite bow-making, or taught local bowyers the techniques, then I'd expect to see the technology to continue- but I don't believe that is the case. Of course that could simply be because it wasn't necessary in central Europe- that a much simpler self bow was sufficient... then again superior military technology is always desirable...

Just hypothesizing Big Grin

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman archery jraommeasn 2 1,462 10-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman Archery --Contacts? MIR 16 3,804 05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Last Post: jonwr