Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically accurate julius Caesar helmet
Good find! What a great model to base armor from!
Regards, Jason
Quote:You may be interested in the sculpture discussed in this thread:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/17-roma...tatue.html

I've since heard talk that this statue really only has a tenuous relationship with anyone specifically Roman, but I've had such a difficult time finding anything about it....you will see many depictions of Republican generals based off of this statue though. I'd give it my blessing as a possibility, at least, if you were really looking for something more accurate than the typical Hollywood take.
Alexander
The typical Hollywood take always includes either bad Attic helmets or trooper style helmets. Why does Hollywood always feature those two? I would like to see some accurate helmets!
Regards, Jason
I have read a bit about gaius julius Caesar and his story is just fantastic, and I think he really sums up the type of person I would like to be. His honourable and respected and smart for his time. I read that he had a face mask helmet type thing so I was going to get that tattooed rather than just roman based apparel to distinguish who the tattoo was about
Where did you read that he had a helmet with a facemask? Was your readings from a modern book, or something written by ancient authors? As far as I am aware, we have no idea what he wore as a helmet. We only have ideas based on what was popular for officers in the period. I suggest a Hellenistic helmet style or an Apulo Corinthian myself :-)
Regards, Jason
Quote:I read that he had a face mask helmet type thing so I was going to get that tattooed rather than just roman based apparel to distinguish who the tattoo was about
Don't do it! I know of absolutely nothing to suggest that Caesar wore a face-mask helmet and, unless you can find some really reliable evidence that he did (and I very much doubt that you will), your tattoo is likely to have precisely the opposite effect to what you want.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Jake,

Your source is not credible at all. Forget everything that that person wrote and start over. If one thing is fabricated, then likely more things in that book were as well...
Regards, Jason
No s**t it's not credible, that is why I'm asking Smile
Why not put a quote in Latin that Caesar actually said?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Yup, it is not a good source. You should ignore it. It might have some truth, but if one thing is invented, then you have to suspect the source as a whole. The first Roman facemask helmet found was the Kalkriese, but Seleucids had them for their cataphracts earlier.
Regards, Jason
What about " Veni, Vidi, Vici" Is that a good one?
Regards, Jason
Quote: Face mask helmets do not seem to appear until the Teutoburg forest battle

Uh, no.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
If it is not good, then I will remove it.
Regards, Jason
I forgot about the Seleucids with their cataphracts... I changed the post
Regards, Jason
Quote:talo Corinthian helmets!!! That would be a definite good one! Great officer's helmets! Good suggestion!
Certainly not. Those came out of use at latest in the third century BC. They are Called "Apulo-Corinthians" meanwhile, btw.
Wink
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accurate but affordable custom helmet? Batavian 6 2,023 06-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Last Post: franciscus
  Could this have been the shield pattern of Julius Caesar? AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 6 2,582 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Decimus Apollonius