Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically accurate julius Caesar helmet
I want to get a tattoo of giaus julius Caesars helmet and sword and shield, my question is does is face mask that he wore as a helmet actually exist and what would be an accurate description to it, I want the tattoo to be somewhat historically accurate
Quote:my question is does is face mask that he wore as a helmet actually exist
Did it ever exist? I very much doubt it.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I think he is talking about the Kalkriese face mask from the Teutoburg forest battle...

Jake,

We have never found a helmet that was for sure worn by Julius Caesar, but since he was a general, we can assume is was either a Hellenistic type or an Attic style, as high ranking officers of the period are usually depicted wearing those helmet types.
Regards, Jason
Quote:I think he is talking about the Kalkriese face mask from the Teutoburg forest battle...
By which time Caesar had been dead for 53 years.
Michael King Macdona

Yes, wearing a Kalkriese helmet and face mask while trying to portray Julius Caesar would be a problem... Its not period.
Regards, Jason
Jake, where did you get this idea of face masks? They were used only by cavalry and standard bearers, and are uncomfortable to wear. When you have to command troops, you do not want your senses restricted by a face mask. Did you get the face mask idea by looking at the avatar of the member here Gaius Julius Caesar?
Regards, Jason
Quote:They were used only by cavalry and standard bearers, and are uncomfortable to wear

May I ask where you got this idea from?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I got it from here:

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquip...masks.html
Regards, Jason
A nice collection of masks but I would be a tad wary of a site that lists the iconic Sutton Hoo helmet as Late Roman.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
They do call it late Roman, but also Germanic and Saxon later on.
Regards, Jason
Spreading their bets then?
Moi Watson

I guess. A little odd though since everyone knows it is not " late Roman " and was instead Saxon.
Regards, Jason
Basically, mate, no one has any idea of exactly what would be historically accurate for a Roman general of this period beyond the following: a muscled cuirass, pyteruges, perhaps a parazonium, most likely a cloak of some sort (Caesar's was reputed to be scarlet), a hellenistic (not necessarily attic) helmet, perhaps with some of Italo-corinthian theme...it's all actually quite vague as to what a general would have been wearing on the field or during campaign. Most of our interpretations come from statues of later period emperors, and to my knowledge, only one of them depicts a helmet, which is incorporated into the base of the statue, and appears to be a very hellenistic design (as opposed to the oft assumed attic helm).

If you really wanted to get a tattoo relating to Caesar that had any sort of legit value in the eyes of anyone who actually knows anything about Roman military history, I'd shy away from any of his "supposed" kit. To be honest, were Gaius Julius to magically appear through some wormhole and see your body marked in tattoos he'd be obliged to automatically consider you a slave or some sort of barbarian (likely both). Tattoos were only associated with said societal echelons in the Roman world (at least, as far as we know).
Alexander
Italo Corinthian helmets!!! That would be a definite good one! Great officer's helmets! Good suggestion!
Regards, Jason
You may be interested in the sculpture discussed in this thread:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/17-roma...tatue.html
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accurate but affordable custom helmet? Batavian 6 1,943 06-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Last Post: franciscus
  Could this have been the shield pattern of Julius Caesar? AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 6 2,524 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Decimus Apollonius