Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Later Roman arm guard?
Quote:utterly fanciful

What, the whole thing? :-)

I believe the torso armour, belts, pteruges, greaves and scabbard are based on a trophy sculpture found near Abrittus and dated to the mid-late third century. There's probably a picture of that online somewhere too... The old problem of interpreting sculptural representations recurs here, perhaps...
Nathan Ross
Quote:I believe the torso armour, belts, pteruges, greaves and scabbard are based on a trophy sculpture found near Abrittus and dated to the mid-late third century.
It's from this in the Archaeological Museum of Tropaeum Traiani at Adamclisi and, I believe, from a Constantinian reconstruction dated to 316. Not entirely fanciful, after all, but still no authority for the arm guard.

http://istoriesinumismatica.files.wordpr...c05779.jpg
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:this in the Archaeological Museum of Tropaeum Traiani at Adamclisi

Yes, that's the one exactly. But, as you say, no arm guards... I remain mystified by them...
Nathan Ross
Quote:It's from this in the Archaeological Museum of Tropaeum Traiani at Adamclisi and, I believe, from a Constantinian reconstruction dated to 316.
It occurs to me that this is rather ambiguous. I was trying to say that the trophy in the photograph came from a Constantinian reconstruction, not that there were two pieces of evidence.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:this is rather ambiguous.

Actually I was already quite confused by this sculpture! Is it believed to be a third century piece reused in the reconstruction of the city of Civitas Tropaensium by Constantine and/or Licinius, or a fourth century copy of a third century piece, or a third or fourth century copy of the original trophy on the top of the Trajanic monument?
Nathan Ross
Quote:Actually I was already quite confused by this sculpture! Is it believed to be a third century piece reused in the reconstruction of the city of Civitas Tropaensium by Constantine and/or Licinius, or a fourth century copy of a third century piece, or a third or fourth century copy of the original trophy on the top of the Trajanic monument?
I glanced at D'Amato's book in Waterstones this afternoon and, as far as I remember, it says something about the sculpture being "retrospective", which could mean that it is third century piece re-used or a fourth century copy of a third century original. My initial thought was that it was the latter but now I'm not so sure. And why use it as a model for a centurion anyway?
Michael King Macdona

Quote:It's from this in the Archaeological Museum of Tropaeum Traiani at Adamclisi and, I believe, from a Constantinian reconstruction dated to 316. Not entirely fanciful, after all, but still no authority for the arm guard.
http://istoriesinumismatica.files.wordpr...c05779.jpg

Hah! It does indeed look like a Katzbalger hilt. Live and learn!
Quote:Live and learn!

Ah yes, it does indeed have a double eagle hilt... Well spotted! Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross