Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column
Quote:Hi Robert, I was not using the drawings as sources just comparisons and I am pretty sure that they are probably not correct.
My mistake Michael - it seems we are in agreement! Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I thank you all for the thoughtful responses.

Like Renatus and Michael, I accept Tacitus' description of both the contus and long-sword as being two-handed. Some authors wrote carefully and accurately in their use of language, Tacitus and Herodotus being my favorites. A great number of two-handed swords of this early period have been found, and they are identical to those depicted on the Orlat Plaque. We don't see these swords rendered correctly on Trajan's Column... nor do we see akinakae, about as common as a modern table-knife, actually used as an eating knife among its other uses. Every Roxolanus must have carried one.

But as Robert hammered home-- horses with scales "growing" down to their hooves-- can only arrive from an artist's imagination and nowhere else. This is ultimate fantasy. I was joking about my helmet, and hopefully it's the most accurate reproduction of the banded pre-Spangenhelm of that period. Yet, as Longovicium noted, the Column is an admixture of reality and myth. We rarely see it in Roman art. And I suppose that's what makes Trajan's Column so interesting.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
At risk of offending some of my brethren, I am bemused by those who look for an accurate representation in Trajan's column and similar art. First, it was clearly intended to be propaganda for the emperor. Second, and perhaps most importantly, the scenes reflected are the artists' idealization or creation, and artistic license is a given. As with all art, the work is the artist's interpretation, and embellishment of patriotic themes should be understood. So, are there anomalies, certainly. Why is there surprise?
Petrus Augustinus
Hello, Pierre

I don't think anything on Trajan's Column is a surprise to many of us, and you're not offending anyone. We've been looking at it for a long time, as various parts of the Column are frequently used to illustrate historical accuracy within a reenactor's kit. My initial question on the original post was simply asking-- what was real and what was not?

You've noted, "As with all art, the work is the artist's interpretation." However, if you study Roman art on the whole, you will find it bereft of imagination. Roman art is very straight-forward and realistic... perhaps with the exception of Venus standing on a clam-shell. I have viewed original Roman art in Herculanium, Pompeii, the National Museum, and several other Italian museums. And I have not seen much beyond realism. Then-- Whammo!-- we are hit with lizard-horses on the Column.

Only recently have we seen critiques in print of the artwork on Trajan's Column, and it remains not a surprise but a series of anomalies. As such, I felt it would make an interesting topic. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:However, if you study Roman art on the whole, you will find it bereft of imagination . . . Then-- Whammo!-- we are hit with lizard-horses on the Column.
Isn't that the point? The Roman artist was presented with a description of something he had never seen nor was ever likely to see - men and horses entirely covered with scale armour. Does he try to interpret what he has been told or consider its practical aspects? No, he follows his brief to the letter and offers a literal representation of the description given to him. And what does he produce? Lizard horses and lizard men!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Roxolani Helmet from Trajan\'s Column Alanus 16 8,690 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Germanic club warriors on Trajan\'s Column? Please help. Thiudareiks Flavius 8 4,243 07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius