Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic club warriors on Trajan\'s Column? Please help.
I'm helping the development team for the Rome Total War Europa Barbarorum mod on making the 'Sweboz'/Germanic faction units more distinctive and authentic. We are reducing the number of sword-armed units and replacing several of them with club-armed warriors instead.

One of the modellers has come back to us with some great new unit models, including some suitably wild and shaggy-haired Chattian 'oath warriors', but the clubs on these units are wooden with metal spikes, which is definitely not accurate.

To give him a guide for adjusting him, I'm trying to find some primary source material which depicts Germanic war clubs, but with no success so far. I seem to recall some Germanic clubmen auxilia in one scene on Trajan's Column (?? I think), but can't find a picture of them anywhere.

Can anyone help?
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Try getting hold of a copy of "Trajan's Column and the Dacian Wars" by Lino Rossi. It is an entire photographic study of the Column.

Quinton/Marcus Quintius Clavus
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:Try getting hold of a copy of "Trajan's Column and the Dacian Wars" by Lino Rossi. It is an entire photographic study of the Column.

Quinton/Marcus Quintius Clavus

I'll see if I can find a copy this weekend. But is there an online resource with photos of the whole column? And does anyone know the figures I'm referring to? I'm reasonably certain they are in one of the Column's scenes, but my memory could be faulty.

Have you already tried this link?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
i think the picture you are referring to is is Spiral Number 17, Panel A of Trajan's column - there is a drawing of that in Greece & Rome at war of Peter Connolly.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:Have you already tried this link?

Unfortunately, the McMaster Project seems to have omitted the famous clubman figure.
He can be seen at the extreme right of their Spiral 10.

If you have Cichorius or Lepper/Frere, the clubman is in Scene LXX Cast 177/178. (Lepper/Frere unaccountably call him a "club-bearing clibanarius"!)

Quote:Spiral Number 17, Panel A of Trajan's column - there is a drawing of that in Greece & Rome at war of Peter Connolly
You're right, Jeroen. There are another two clubmen in Scene CVIII Cast 288, which is again omitted from the McMaster Project. :roll: Connolly might be the best bet, indeed. His original painting (afaik) is in Mainz.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi Tim,
I have both Rossi & Lepper/Frere. Holler if you need scans.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I don't recall how many photos they specifically have on the Trajan's Column because it is such a vast resource, but you might check this link.

[url:396fu6ek]http://rubens.anu.edu.au/[/url]

Shane Allee
Shane Allee
Thanks to all for their help. We've tracked down the appropriate pictures from Trajan's Column and the clubs on the Germanic models now look much more authentic.

Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Technical Anomalies of Trajan\'s Column Alanus 19 5,659 09-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  New Roxolani Helmet from Trajan\'s Column Alanus 16 8,643 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Alanus