Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draw weight of Roman stone projecting machines
Hi all,

Is there any publication or estimation about what was the for example draw weight of one talent torsion engine(I am not sure about if this name is even appropriate for Roman artillery) of Roman arsenal?

The famous Orşova type reconstruction of Nick Watt's ballista has some 4012 lbs draw weight and capable of projecting 3/4 pound bolt to 480 yards an Lighter, 1/2 pound bolts made it out to 540 yards, while 1/4 pound flight style bolts averaged 760 yards.

Also, medieval heavy bolt shooting springalds estimated to have some 2000 lbs for average and some higher calibers around 4000 lbs.

Since stone projectiles are much more heavier thus requiring much powerful machines what would be their draw weight?

Thanks in advance.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

You mean Watt's "Firefly?" I've heard it can shoot a whole kilometer now.
Yes, that's the machine. I took those values from some other site after failed search over his blog. Amazing reconstruction but it is a bit high tech for ancient era nevertheless a useful stand point to start for estimating or guessing about power of ancient machinery.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Eagle in stone found markusaurelius 3 1,173 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Draw weight for siege weapons Silver 0 978 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Silver
  Weight and thickness of original roman helmets Cacaius 11 10,747 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs