Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
I'll try and find a copy of it.

Attila's name is Atta and -la which is basically the equivalent of Patricius Noster (in terms of literal meaning) in Gothic. This would later become Aetzel, Etzel, Edzel, etc. in the various German, Hungarian, Austrian, and Frankish dialects (notably the Niebelungenlied). Rugila's name is Rua/Ruga and -la, to which I cannot remember the meaning.

Quote:but any new information on how Attila could weld & maintain an empire out of groups of disparate tribes & nations containing various races with different cultural habits & religions that nearly brought the Western Roman Empire to its knees would make your proposed book more interesting

That will be covered in the chapter "Flagellum Dei" where I discuss Attila, the Huns, and Hunnic mechanics (Prestige Ranking, etc. Peter Heather covered a lot of this in his The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History and his Empires and Barbarians (specifically "Huns on the Run" where he discusses the collapse of the Hunnic machine.)

I honestly don't have much new insight to offer into the Huns. I can and will probably draw some new conclusions as I read more (my brain has an amazing capacity to cross reference other texts on the fly) but we know rather well how the Hunnic war machine, government, and even their economy worked.

The Huns as a whole may be something I decide to write about in the future (nerry a volume as complete as On the World of the Huns has been written in the intervening time), but one step at a time Tongue

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Flavivs Aetivs - 02-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,162 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,943 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker