Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient trousers from steppe nomad
I thought this may be of interest here

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/firs...-years-ago

I like how the pattern is a woven part of the leg rather than an applied design.
Interesting Dave.

Suhel
Just found-- The Oldest Pair of Trousers!

Recently, Bruce Bower wrote an article for Science News (May 30, 2014) announcing the discovery. The trousers were worn by steppe horsemen living in the Takla Makan between 1,300 and 1,000 BC (Before Chernobyl). Previous to this, the oldest pair were worn by "Cherchen Man," dyed to brick red (a favored color of the Alans).

The wool trousers were woven in a complicated design, woven to fit and not cut, and then sewn together in 3 sections. According to Barber, the looms used to create this style of clothing were identical to Celtic ones. At this time, and for centuries after, Europeans and Asians were wearing robes, chitons, and togas. The culture that produced these trousers, as well as those of Cherchen Man, were the direct ancestors of the Yue-chi and Tokarians, a culture which spoke an Indo-European centum language which was close to Greek, Italic, and Celtic. :woot:

The Yue-chi were pastoralist horsemen, primarily situated on the northern periphery of the Tarim Basin, expert horse breeders, controlled the jade trade into China, and established the southern route into India. Their nearest neighbors were the Zhou Chinese to the east and the Wusun and Saka to the west.

A pair of 3,000 year-old trousers indicates just how Cool these people were. Romans continued wearing togas, tripping over themselves when drunk, and remaining conservatives until the 5th century AD (After Dominos' [pizza]), when they broke down (socially or mentally) and accepted trousers as a "new" innovation.

If you're new to reenactment, consider becoming a Sarmatian "barbarian." And be COOL. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Oh! And here they are... in dead color. Confusedilly:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Thanks Alan! That is waaaay cool..

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
I've no idea why this ended up in rules and announcements as I tried to post it in allies and enemies section.
Never mind - I already moved into another thread about the same subject. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Here's the image BTW:

[Image: bb_trousers_FREE.jpg]
Thanks, Dave G, for finding the article and photo, and everyone else for getting it where it should be. I thought the link would die a quick and natural death under "Rules and Announcements," so paraphrased Bower's story and tried to get the picture into Allies & Enemies. Considering their age, these steppe trousers are sophisticated... and I imagine they were colorful before fading. Who said barbarians wore rags? :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote: T... Who said barbarians wore rags? :whistle:

Have you tried riding in woollen trousers?!!! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
What about the leather ones from Valkenberg?
Quote:Have you tried riding in woollen trousers?!!! :wink:

No, I'm allergic to wool. But they probably were handy in the winter, even in the Tarim. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:What about the leather ones from Valkenberg?

They make your groin sweat. And that cuts down on human reproduction. :-P
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Ibex skin was popular for clothing on the Steppes according to OMH.
Yes, ibex skin-- like deerskin-- can be tanned into a pliant and soft leather, ideal for clothing. Smile
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements Alanus 49 49,061 04-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs