Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
Hi, Nadeem

I think there were actually two "sub"-tribes which started as the "Lesser Yue-chi" and "Greater Yue-chi." Fact is, all of these tribes were basically Sarmatians. By the 4th century, the "greater" had taken over Sogdiana-Margana and had crossed the Hindu-Kush down into the Indus Valley, but you already know that. Some people think these Kushans were the same bunch that lived earlier in the Tarim Basin, where they controlled east-west commerce and the jade trade. Supposedly, they (and the Wusun) spoke and wrote in Tokarian but chances are the rank-and-file spoke Eastern Iranian. I think these western Kushans were the people who were fought-off by the Wusun at the Illi Valey, thus moving further westward into the BMC. Perhaps this is what we see on the Orlat belt plaque. One thing's for sure. The Chinese had a habit of borrowing barbarian weapons and armor... just like the Romans did. I think we've gone off-subject from the original "Gothic" armor, but likewise we see Sarmatian armor worn by the Goths. It's all connected! ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Alanus - 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,163 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,943 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker