Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Maille
Whatever, I had assumed that the English use of the word "maille" was simply another case of language borrowing. I think saying "mail" in this context is confusing. <p></p><i></i>
Thousands of English words are confusing or ambiguous. Do you want to replace all of them with French terms? <p></p><i></i>
That's odd. Most of the armour historians I talk to, including at least one who specializes in mail/maille, look at the terms as the same. Most seem to prefer maille to make a more promenant difference between armour and postal stuff.<br>
<br>
While hamata would be correct for the Roman armour, mail or maille are both equally used amongst many folks who spend more time on this than I do.<br>
<br>
I've never heard of there being a preference to one term for <em>english</em> context and another for <em>french</em>.<br>
<br>
Cavetus <p></p><i></i>
Well, we colonials have a thing for the French, though I have to admit the feelings tend to ebb and flow. When the time came to kick out a certain King George they were there when we needed them. Now back to things roman. <p></p><i></i>