Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heteny late roman helmet is ready.
Salvete Omnes!

My Heteny late roman helmet is ready. The earlier reconstructions of the helmet were based probably on at least two helmet remains so I took some liberties with it Wink. This means that I have left the ear cut-outs away and also added a bit longer nasal guard (just for aesthetic reasons). The helmet is dated somewhere from the mid 4th c. to the first half of the 5th c. CE. And oh yes, the helmet was made by the one and only Patryk Nieczarowski! Wink

[Image: etukulma_pieni_zps7b4f6dec.jpg]
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
WOW! Incredible craftsmanship!
Great work - very evocative!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:Great work - very evocative!

Francis, you just reminded me why I got interested in the late roman empire in the first place. These helmets with nasal guards and cheek pieces enclosing the face, have some eerie "facial" impression which I have always found fascinating. Smile
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
One day some archaeologist is gonna find this Helmet and wonder why in an age of Kevlar and and Ceramic we were still using brass, steel, and leather. Then they're gonna write a great scholarly paper and theorize that 21st century Europeans had this hobby they called "Re-enactment" and it's going to get acclaimed reviews.
Fantastic helmet. They sure do great work. Can't wait for my helmet by Matt Lukes to get finished up....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Fantastic helmet. They sure do great work. Can't wait for my helmet by Matt Lukes to get finished up....

Markus, may I ask what type helmet you have ordered fom Matt? Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
It's been a long time in the making, but hopefully sometime soon it will be finished. It is a replica off of the original late roman helmet sheathing fragments in my collection. Essentially an exact copy of the original helmet. Similar to the Iatris or Augsburg helmet. Complete with a gold plated sheathing layer over an Iron core. :woot:
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Quote:It's been a long time in the making, but hopefully sometime soon it will be finished. It is a replica off of the original late roman helmet sheathing fragments in my collection. Essentially an exact copy of the original helmet. Similar to the Iatris or Augsburg helmet. Complete with a gold plated sheathing layer over an Iron core. :woot:

Markus, why haven't you told us, this is great! :woot: :woot: :woot:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Markus, why haven't you told us, this is great!

Its been years in the making, so believe me when it finally does get finished, images will be posted! Its going to have a metal crest much like the photo in my Avatar (based on the new finds from Christian Miks)
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Based on the "Vom Prunkstück zum Altmetall"? I have the book, it is great indeed Wink...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Wonderful looking helmet Jyrki.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Nice looking helmet.

Suhel
Thanks everybody Smile ! Here is a picture from the side:
[Image: sivu_pieni_zps56adb9b3.jpg]
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Did most helmets have the leather strap and buckle configuration holding the cheekpieces and neckguard on?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Helmet Deurne-Berkasovo Variant II markusaurelius 15 5,391 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,527 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Helmet lining for late roman helmets Virilis 11 4,537 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs