Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Helmet Deurne-Berkasovo Variant II
Reproduced by Matt Lukes as his first attempt at a Late Roman helmet. The piece was copied directly from the helmet shell fragments in my collection, including the fine details (size of decorations, spacing, size of cheek and neck guards etc.) It is now an accurate display of what the original could have looked like.

Made with an iron core and a Copper sheathing (to save $$). The sheathing was then silvered and the gold plated! Perhaps a first for recreated helmets of this type?? In either case the end result if a beautiful helmet, with an authentic look. Matt also made sure to keep many of the variances of the originals in place, including the many errors and worker mistakes seen on so many of these hand made items.

I hope you enjoy!

P.S any dark spots you see are my camera lens (wow its hard to photograph something that shiny)
[attachment=12528]Frontleft-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12529]Frontright-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12530]Frontview2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12531]Leftrear-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12535]Right.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
[attachment=12536]Top.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12537]Top-2.jpg[/attachment]

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
I think there have been a few gold-plated reconstructions in the past, but not many. Still, a fantastic helmet!
Very nice! Gold...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Stunning work!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Very nice piece of work.
Joe Balmos
Quote:I think there have been a few gold-plated reconstructions in the past, but not many. Still, a fantastic helmet!

Robert Pustelak did even do a Deurne helmet with real gold sheet covering, like the original.

A very very nice helmet though. Well done to Matt Lukes for all the work going into it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Reproduced by Matt Lukes as his first attempt at a Late Roman helmet. The piece was copied directly from the helmet shell fragments in my collection, including the fine details (size of decorations, spacing, size of cheek and neck guards etc.) It is now an accurate display of what the original could have looked like.
I like it very much. I only know of two gilded replicas, like jurjen said by Robert Pustelak, made of the Deurne helmet.

The only detail I have questions about would be the attachment of the cheek plates - usually you see that leather hinge method only with the Intercisa models, while the Berkasovo types (like this one seems to be) have metal hinges. That could point to either your Original pieces belonging to a hybrid, or even belonging to (parts of) two different helmets.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
What do they date to? A lot of the Late 4th Century helmets we know of are Intercisa-Style Bowls with Berkasova-style cheekpieces (usually without the additional plate, although sometimes with). There's also a notable usage of Koblenz-style earhole covers in art during the 5th Century.
Robert are you sure you are not mixing up helmet types? I'm using the typology used by Miks which is used for essentially the majority of the bi-partial bowl helmets of the later Roman period. Variant I being the ones with a base ring, Variant II being the ones with the nasal and cheek/neck guards attached to the bowl. I know the actual Deurne helmet has hinges, but the majority of the helmets of the Deurne-Berkasovo variant II type clearly did not have hinges of metal.

All the Deurne-Berkasovo type helmets in the Koblenz horde have leather strap hinges (or a leather strap/buckle attachment). This image shows the remnants of the leather hinge with a brass retaining washer.

[attachment=12557]Kolenz-Miks1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12558]Kolenz-Miks3.jpg[/attachment]

One detail that I should have had done (to match this original) is to have the hinge rivets on the bowl side moved up away from the stitching about 1-2 cm from the edge. Unfortunately it got lost in construction translation. There is an example from Koblenz which had the leather hinges attached higher up on the bowl, although the majority (of the Koblenz and other helmets) had the hinge rivets in line with the stitching holes as was reproduced here.

[attachment=12559]RivetHoles-measurements.jpg[/attachment]

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Quote:Robert are you sure you are not mixing up helmet types? I'm using the typology used by Miks which is used for essentially the majority of the bi-partial bowl helmets of the later Roman period. Variant I being the ones with a base ring, Variant II being the ones with the nasal and cheek/neck guards attached to the bowl. I know the actual Deurne helmet has hinges, but the majority of the helmets of the Deurne-Berkasovo variant II type clearly did not have hinges of metal.

No I'm not mixing my types up, but metal hinges are less common than I assumed (and why I should not write from memory without my books present). Miks' typology is not as simple as the old Intercisa/Berkasovo typology. Before the Koblenz hoard I guess we differed between the helmets with no base ring/no nasal/slender cheekplates/bipartite bowl (Intercisa) and the ones with a basering/nasal/wide cheekplates/bipartite or more (Berkasovo), with of course a few hybrids. I realise that this has been complicated since the Koblenz helmets turned up.

Still, when metal hinges occur, as far as I can tell, they occur on the helmets with the larger cheekplates (Berkasovo type).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Still, when metal hinges occur, as far as I can tell, they occur on the helmets with the larger cheekplates (Berkasovo type).

Robert, none of the larger cheek plates in the Koblenz horde have metal hinges. The Augsburg/Nuremburg helmets don't have metal hinges. The Iatrus helmet doesn't have metal hinges. The Nogara cheek plates doesn't have any sign of metal hinges. The Berkasovo helmet doesn't have metal hinges. And actually upon review of Miks book, the Duerne helmet doesn't have metal hinges. The helmet in the private collection with the Berkasovo cheek plates doesn't have metal hinges. The Jarak helmet does not have any evidence of hinges for the cheekplates either. The Heteny helmet covering fragments don't have metal hinges

Clearly the majority of these known larger cheekplate helmets did not have metal hinges......and based on the find from Koblenz, very likely leather ones.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Exactly what I wrote, then, mmh? Wink WHEN they occur, they occur on the larger cheekplates.

But I retract my Original remark - your beautiful helmet does not need metal hinges.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Brilliant helmet, the most close to an original one i have seen! One question, what is a common distance between the holes for stitch the leather lining?
Hehe Robert Smile

Caesar: My original fragments have the stitching holes around 18-22mm appart. That seems to be a good average from looking at the large sample group from Koblenz.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berkasovo jeweled helmet ….neck guard Doc 5 2,697 09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,442 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Detailed picture of the Berkasovo helmet Virilis 7 3,589 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Virilis