Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albaniana bronze handled knife
Quote:Oh, I really like these smaller knives with complex shapes. But then I do have a good deal of practice making them and have a closely guarded secret methode to craft these ......

I use two different size wooden mallets I made from walnut, reinforced with rawhide strips.
I like hints,Robert,my brain needs the excercise!
Off topic but,started another xiphos,may have a method of doing *spurs* on Greek swords to share that will work well for your shop set up,I'll send an email,if only I could forge and,take pictures/video at the same time Smile
That wasn't a hint, you dolt :-)! That was the closely guarded secret ....

Using a wooden mallet keeps the blade's back and edge from being marred when you forge in the curves. A wooden, half round "anvil" (spilt hardwood log) can also be used but with 800 degree iron, produces some interesting effects. So I only use that for big things like a falx.

PS could use some more votes on the bladeshapes, please ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
The cat's out of the bag! With this knowledge I can now create a knife-production pyramid scheme! Confusedilly:

I think the universal consensus so far is "A". I look forward to the finished product Robert, what era does this Knife date to?

Also is the Albaniana fortress in the Historical Albania (modern Russia/Azerbaijan)?
Agreed "A" is a winner!
This would be the correct blade form, archaeologically:
http://www.hr-replikate.de/katalog/bilder/nr0307.jpg
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Why is that?
It's first century and the Albaniana fortress is in the Netherlands.

Like I said, B is a very likely candidate for bronze handled knives, although the one shown is of a different handle type. So Christian could be correct in his assumption. But on this handle, it just doesn't really look the part, for some estetic reason ...
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to - My new bone handled sword and scabbard Crispvs 40 12,170 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Ivory handled Newstead spatha Robert 47 6,479 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Another my replica of roman folder knife - Bronze lost wax MDF 1 1,526 11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs