Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albaniana bronze handled knife
Salvete Omnes,

I have modeled and had cast some replica's of a bronze knife handle found at the fortres of Albaniana. Unfortunatly, there was not enough of the blade left to make an acurate reconstruction, so I am left with three possibilities, all based on knife shapes found at the same site.
Could you please indicate your preference for one of these three shapes, as I would like to market these at some point and would value your input?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Well,Robert,I like the top blade myself,very graceful curves but,why not offer all three as an option? Beautiful casting work btw.
Thanks, Dave. Yes, valid suggestion, but then I would have to make them custom when they are sold and I want to do these smaller blades in between this winter. Hafting these in bronze is carefull work, so I want "fiddle time", hahaha
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I too prefer the top blade, it seems to be the most functional looking one out of the three. Both A and C are fairly similar though and, if given a choice, those would be the ones that I would purchase. Love the handles!
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
I'd go for the A!
Eduardo Vázquez
Quote:Thanks, Dave. Yes, valid suggestion, but then I would have to make them custom when they are sold and I want to do these smaller blades in between this winter. Hafting these in bronze is carefull work, so I want "fiddle time", hahaha
True,in that case, *A* has my vote,just has more visual appeal to me.
"A" for me too, "B" looks like a seax too much...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Robert,
I can see that it's an animal shape, but what kind? A lion? The head looks sort of like a mastiff.
Pecunia non olet
Hahahaha, yes, supposed to be a lion, as it has manes. Here is the original .... :

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:"A" for me too, "B" looks like a seax too much...

Same here.

I agree that the original looks like a cross between a pug and a wiener dog, rather than a Lion Tongue
I'd say the original looks like a lion,just one that had been *petted* over the years to a house cat. Whatever the blade shape of the original,from the wear on the handle,I'd say it recieved alot of use.
A looks like the after "photograph" of C (years of use and sharpening).

May I ask what your three styles are based upon? Anything from the archaeological record, or just experience on your part.

(Something I'd add to my wish list too!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
All three blades shapes are based on actual finds from the fort. In the Manning typology, I suppose A and C would be lumped together, but A has a distinct downward onset of the blade and the point is in line with the central portion of the hilt, which is unlike the type C, where the point is always well below the central line. I believe A was originaly intended to look that way and is not a product of an oversharpened C style blade. C is the dominant shape in utility knives. B is also common, straight blade with a downward sloping point. The original could very well have had just such a blade, as these are often seen with bronze handles, but ... well .... it just didn't look as well as the other two options. So I am glad there seems to be a preference for A, as that would make it a non-typical knife in it's own right, not an exact replica of any one find.

PS and in case someone is wondering, yes, A is the more difficult one to shape (read as "rare and more expensive").
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
That's the thing,Robert,glad you mentioned it,forging the more complex curves on a knife sized single edge blade would be,for me,no less work than say a double edged gladius blade,less *heavy* hammering but,much more gentle *tapping* .
Will be worth it I'd say,should be a very unique item both in terms of visual appeal and,the fact that you don't see these made often Smile
Oh, I really like these smaller knives with complex shapes. But then I do have a good deal of practice making them and have a closely guarded secret methode to craft these ......

I use two different size wooden mallets I made from walnut, reinforced with rawhide strips.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to - My new bone handled sword and scabbard Crispvs 40 12,164 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Ivory handled Newstead spatha Robert 47 6,467 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Another my replica of roman folder knife - Bronze lost wax MDF 1 1,526 11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs