Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanging Gardens of Nineveh, not Babylon?
Quote:Dr Dalley, an honorary research fellow at Somerville College and part of the Oriental Institute at Oxford University, believes the garden was actually created at Nineveh, 300 miles from Babylon, in the early seventh century BC. She argues that it was built by the Assyrians in the north of Mesopotamia – modern-day Iraq – at the instigation of the Assyrian king, Sennacherib.

Past Horizons

Apparently she has also written a book which was published by Oxford University Press this spring: The Mystery of the Hanging Garden of Babylon. It sounds pretty interesting.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I hope not!

I actually got to the cradle of the Tigris and the Euphrates and thought I could cross one Seventh Wonder off my list!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Jona Lendering wrote about this years ago: Common Errors (20): Hanging Gardens
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
I had read Jona's English version of the common errors, but I had completely forgot he wrote about the Hanging Gardens.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Channel 4 did a programme on this subject last week.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/findi...garden/4od

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Gardens Primvs Pavlvs 9 2,621 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Senovara
  Ancient Roman Gardens rekirts 8 3,714 07-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Anonymous