Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Roman Gardens
I have 'Ancient Roman Gardens' by Linda Farrar, ISBN 0750924608. It appears well researched, and has a fair number of diagrams and 14 colour plates. "Linda Farrar is a classicist and archaeologist with a special interest in gardening and garden history."<br>
<br>
Although I have used it for reference rather than for reading in-depth, it seems to me a very comprehensive study of the subject.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
I saw that in Borders today, but forgot to look. Does it have any suggestions for how to recreate a Roman garden? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
There are no suggestions, as such, but referring to the pictures and diagrams and her very detailed information on materials and plants used, I would think you could recreate a Roman garden. There is a LOT of information in this book--probably more than you would actually need.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Wendy,<br>
I've often thought about the possiblities of recreating a Roman garden as I have a bit at the back of my garden I never know what to do with and am always changing round. But before I rush out and stretch my overstretched book budget even further could you give me a few ideas as regards the feasibility of such a plan.<br>
For instance, do you think you can deduce from the diagrams what would be the minimum space needed for such a project?<br>
Also could you give me some idea of the basic shrubs, plants, trees, etc used. I guess there are many but perhaps some of the commoner ones as I want to get an idea about availability.<br>
I'd also like to know what materials were used for paving.<br>
And just one more thing! Were vegetables incorporated into these gardens or did they have a special area of their own like the 'kitchen gardens' of later times.<br>
If anyone has tried recreating a Roman garden I would appreciate any tips on how to go about it.<br>
Thanks.<br>
Jackie<br>
B.t.w. Wendy, having problems with the email service at the moment-it don't work! Hope to get sorted out soon.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jackie, there doesn't seem to be a minimum space. Like us, the Romans used whatever they had. "A hortus could imply a small or large garden, in town or country, a rustic vegetable garden, market garden or the landscaped gardens of a palatial estate." Some who had smaller gardens painted garden scenes on the adjacent wall to make the garden look bigger.<br>
<br>
Farrar has a section labelled "Kitchen Garden Plants" and it appears they kept the vegetable garden separate most of the time.<br>
<br>
From the pictures, I would say paving was done with concrete (one picture from Pompeii looks just like the crumbling concrete in my driveway), stone, brick and of course, mosaics for the well-to-do. She decribes walls as being made from stone and brick--sometimes with jagged fragments of amphora on top to keep out intruders.<br>
<br>
There is a list at the back of the book of garden plants mentioned by Pliny in his Natural History and what they were used for i.e. ornamental, chaplet, wine, bees, medicinal, culinary. Here is the list:<br>
Acanthus, Adonis, Almond, Amaranth, Anemone, Anise, Anthyllis, Apiastrum, Apple, Asparagus, Basil, Beans, Beet, Blite, Box, Brussels sprout, Cabbage, Caper, Cardoon, Carob, Caraway, Carrot, Casia, Catmint, Cedar, Cerintha, Cherry Chervil, Chestnut, Chicory, Chives, Chrysanthemum, Citron Convolvulus Coriander, Cornel tree, Cornflower, Cress, Crocus, Cucumber, Cumin, Cunila, Cyclamen, Cynoglosum, Cypress, Dill,Dittany, Elecampane, Endive, Fennel, Fig, Gallic nard/Valerian, Garlic, Gentian, Germander, Gourd, Ground pine/pine, Hazelnut, Heliotrope, Hemp, Hesperis, Holly, Horehound, Hyacinth, Hyssop, Jujube tree, Juniper, Iris, Ivy, Laurel (bay), Lavender, Leek, Lettuce, Lily, Linseed, Lovage, Lychnis, Maidenhair, Mallow Mandragora, Marjoram, Mastic tree, Medlar, Melilot, Melissophyllum (balm), Mint, Moss Mulberry, Mustard, Myrtle, Narcissus, Nettle tree, Oleander, Olive, Onion, Orache, orage, Palm (date), Parsnip, Parsley, Partridge plant, Peach, Pear, Pennyroyal, Pepperwort, Periwinkle, Plane tree, Plum, Pomegranate, Poppy, Purslain, Quince, Radish, Rape, Rocket, Rose, Roemary, Rue, Saffron, Sage, Service tree(Sorbus), Smilax, Sorrel, Southernwood, Spalax, Squill, Strawberry tree, Summer beet, Sweet rush, Terebinth, Thapsia, Thyme, Tree medick, Tuber apple, Turnip, Vetch, Vine, Violet, Walnut.<br>
<br>
Quite a lot to choose from. Hope this helps. <br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rekirts>rekirts</A> at: 7/4/03 10:45 am<br></i>
That's quite a list Wendy-thanks!<br>
I see I already have quite a few of these. But I wondered if Ms. Farrar gives any indication which varieties found today resemble ancient strains?<br>
So many of the plants we buy now are modern hybrids.<br>
I remember having a problem trying to find 'old' roses when I was in a rose growing phase.<br>
Then again, I guess if you go and collect say wild rosemary or cyclamen etc it might be close. (but it might also be illegal!)<br>
<br>
Jackie.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
B.t.w. Crumbling concrete 'aint a problem. I'll just bring the guy who did the paving on our front path! <p></p><i></i>
Try having a look on the website for Fishbourne Roman Palace in England,they've recreated part of a Roman garden from the palace using the outlines available.I can't remember much detail,gardening not being a great favorite of mine but I,m sure they could point you towards some useful references.I think the site is, www.sussexpast.co.uk .
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for the link lawrence.<br>
It's amazing how the layout of the shrub beds managed to survive all the ploughing over the centuries. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hanging Gardens of Nineveh, not Babylon? Epictetus 4 1,215 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Dave G
  Late Roman metal vessels found at Draper\'s Gardens, London Salvianus 9 3,062 12-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Gardens Primvs Pavlvs 9 2,606 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Senovara