Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crosby Garrett helmet on display again
Paul.
Those are good pictures and I do have a selection of various ones that have come through certain media, however since it first came to light I have always had some kind of reservations about the Griffin on the top of it indeed this does have a curve to it but does it truly belong there. ?
Brian Stobbs
Quote:since it first came to light I have always had some kind of reservations about the Griffin on the top of it indeed this does have a curve to it but does it truly belong there. ?
The solder on the underside of the griffin was matched to traces of solder on top of the helmet bowl by the conservator. There's nothing unusual in soldered crest or plume holders on helmets so I don't see a problem with this. Moreover, the socket for the jewel on the front of the griffin ornament matches similar jewel settings on 3rd-century sports helmets.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike.
I do follow your point and accept the explanation in fact I have only just recently discussed this with a mutual friend of ours.
Brian Stobbs
UK residents may be interested to learn that the exhibition catalogue, called (appropriately enough) The Crosby Garrett Helmet, can now be bought from me (via Amazon). Other areas will follow shortly once I have sorted out the postage costs.

Note that Amazon will not be selling them directly.

Mike Bishop

Mike.
I tried to get hold of tickets for your talk at the conference on Saturday 9 however fully booked up but will still be coming along on 9th to view the helmet display l just hope there might be cancelations to get in on it, I shall also be chasing for a catalogue copy hoping there are plenty of those to go around but chairs appear to be the problem for the lecture.
Brian Stobbs
I have been looking at the pictures put forward by Caballo and the one showing the inside view also shows that there looks to be some form of modern attachment to lock the face mask to its helmet for display purposes, I am surprised that after all the modern work of reconstruction no one decided to reinstate the closing method from the cheeks to the rings on the helmet rear sides.
Brian Stobbs
Great news. Hope the shipment costs to the Netherlands will be sorted out soon, so your amazon alter ego will accept my order Wink
Dear Pr. Bishop

Living in France, I would be happy to buy this book in the hope of being able to do reproduce this splendid helmet as accurately as possible for our brand new unit of Roman cavalry.

Best regards

Julien Dumas
Quote:Dear Pr. Bishop

Living in France, I would be happy to buy this book in the hope of being able to do reproduce this splendid helmet as accurately as possible for our brand new unit of Roman cavalry.s
Okay, I think I now have it set up so that you can buy the book from Britain, Europe, and the US via my Amazon market account. Let me know if anyone has problems.

Mike Bishop

Here's a bit of eye-candy I showed at the conference: a tinted version of the front-on photo with the jewel restored at the base of the griffin.

Full publication of the conference is being planned and details will be posted once they become available.

Mike Bishop

[attachment=8347]minicoloured.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike.
That is a nice looking picture and the conference was informative and indeed most like myself enjoyed it very much, and I will like many others be looking forward to whatever more info' comes from this.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crosby-Garrett a fake? richsc 20 4,869 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Your chance to see the Crosby Garrett helmet mcbishop 6 1,998 09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  The Crosby Garrett helmet mcbishop 128 22,712 12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Forty-One