Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mysterious Lepidus
I think the 'forgotten' triumvir Marcus Aemilius Lepidus is a mysterious character. Here are a couple of questions I wonder if you could help me out with.

1) How did he win the Pontifex Maximus title? Was he the most prominent man in Rome at the time? Why not Mark Antony, Octavian, or even one of the Republicans? Do we know precisely when Lepidus became Pontifex Maximus?

2) What did he do to Octavian to cause him to be stripped of his power? Did it have something to do with Sextus Pompey?

3) If Octavian was going to strip him of his power, why didn't he fight? Why didn't a civil war break out?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It literally swallowed my lengthy reply...wtf...I just...oh whatever. F**k it (Moderated). Read Dio, check inscriptions and the pontifical fasti. Here is a quick run through since I literally cba.

1) Aemilii were one of the gentes maiores, blue blooded. Consuls from 5th century, religious authority from 3rd century - starting with augurs. A relative, Aemilius Paulus was Pontifex Maximus in 180s. His great grandfather with whom he shared his name, was consul, triumphator, censor, princeps senatus and pontifex maximus so there is a direct example there

Lepidus himself was a member of the priestly college. In other words, he was probably the only candidate at the time. Certainly he was the best. Think like a Roman.

2) He was linked with M. Antonius from the beginning really, as Caesarians and via the military. It was Lepidus as Magister Equitum who calmed the city after Caesar's death, there were familial links between the two also I believe. Caesar, as Dio says, might have illegally left the title pontifex maximus to his heir. This might have caused resentment - the office was for life and had to be passed on via election, rather than say, killing the incumbent as per the Rex.

Cicero, through his letters and his philippics, tries to at first persuade Lepidus away from Antonius but its obviously not happening and Cicero's opinion soon turns resentful and irate. Here, you need to pay attention to the kinds of honours being paid to L. and the coinage he's striking in....Gaul? I can't remember.

He was also instrumental in reconciling S. Pompeius to certain members of the aristocracy, which might have caused resentment. He was basically one of the best placed men in Rome.

3) He was a great reconciler, how could he? more over his grasp of the armies was severely loosened, he probably banked all his hopes on Antonius. Also, again, think like a Roman: Family connections. His nephew was consul, several of his family members occupied important positions, his son was a rising star...until his death, apparently for his role in an assassination attempt against Octavian. So...he had other problems and might have hoped his auctoritas would have had a larger effect. Don't forget, he was exiled. He remained Pontifex though.

So, your best sources as Cicero, Dio and the fast/inscriptions. Plutarch sort of hints at some of the links but in a typical wtf manner so as usual he's useless. The 40's are surprisingly shadowy however.

There, roughly similar in outline to my first post. Hoped that helped.
Jass
Well, if it is any consolation for losing your first reply: this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I have both Cassius Dio and most of Cicero's Letters, so I'll have to check them out. I'm still curious about his lack of rebellion against Octavian, though. He was a bit over 50 years old, I think, when he was stripped of his power. At that age he should still have had some political ambition.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:It literally swallowed my lengthy reply
Sometimes pressing Ctrl+Z (undo) will recover your info. Occasionally, when typing, a finger combination can hit keys that highlight a section or all of the copy, and the next keystroke deletes everything. We've all done that. Just Ctrl+Z and it all comes back. Most of the time.

If I have a long bit to type, I find that putting it in a word processor or Notepad first, then cutting and pasting into a forum text box is safer. And, gleefully, recoverable if it all goes away. Just sayin

Now back to the real discussion at hand!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote: I'm still curious about his lack of rebellion against Octavian, though.

He did try to, but left it too late. Have a look at Book 5 of Appian's Civil War, and there's a lengthy description. Octavian basically undermined Lepidus's control over his own troops, then forced a coup. There was bloodshed (Octavian attacked and killed a group of Lepidus's men who had 'jeered' at him), but Lepidus wasn't left with enough loyal troops to offer any effective resistance to the Octavian takeover.

I'd provide a quote, but still can't access Lacus Curtius, which is the handiest online source...
Nathan Ross
How did I miss all this stuff? I've read pretty much everything people have mentioned. I must be getting old and losing my powers of retent... memor.... keepin' stuff in my head.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mysterious dodecahedron Carus Andiae 25 5,775 12-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia