Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lieutenant John Clarke\'s Translation of Vegetius
For those of an antiquarian turn of mind, Lt. John Clarke's full translation of Vegetius can be downloaded here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/download...%26hl%3Den
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:For those of an antiquarian turn of mind, Lt. John Clarke's full translation of Vegetius can be downloaded here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/download...%26hl%3Den
Sadly it is quite stunningly inaccurate in places, has no paragraph numbering, and, worse still, it is incomplete. Apart from that... you can find some truly wonderful things within it ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Sadly it is quite stunningly inaccurate in places, has no paragraph numbering, and, worse still, it is incomplete.
Inaccurate, no doubt because of the quality of the text he was using, but how is it incomplete? Admittedly, I have not checked the contents of every chapter but they all seem to be there.

Quote: Apart from that... you can find some truly wonderful things within it ;-)
I'd missed that but at least they had the decency to re-copy the offending pages without the fingers.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:
mcbishop post=344637 Wrote:. . . worse still, it is incomplete.
. . . how is it incomplete?
Answer came there none. Are you confusing this with Maj. (later Brig. Gen.) T. R. Phillips' 1940 abridgement, which comprises only the first three books and some chapters in those also abridged?
Michael King Macdona

Quote:
Renatus post=344639 Wrote:
mcbishop post=344637 Wrote:. . . worse still, it is incomplete.
Answer came there none. Are you confusing this with Maj. (later Brig. Gen.) T. R. Phillips' 1940 abridgement, which comprises only the first three books and some chapters in those also abridged?
Sorry, I hadn't realised a reply was required. I've had 'flu all week, three books to get to press for a deadline of tomorrow, and it is quite likely I have been very wrong about many things, not least this. Never mind, these things happen... :-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
mcbishop post=344637 Wrote: . . . worse still, it is incomplete.
It is, perhaps, worth noting that Clarke himself admitted that "I have often varied, and sometimes omitted the continual Prefaces at the Heads of the Sections, as they only interrupt the Subject, without contributing to either Ornament or Use. I have left out several Definitions and Etymologies, both on the above-mentioned Accounts, and because they seldom answer the Original when translated into another Language, but have always inserted them in the Notes."

He is undoubtedly of antiquarian interest, but he's a very unreliable witness to Vegetius -- for one thing, he doesn't seem to indicate which particular version of Vegetius he is "translating" (his library contained a 1553 compilation of military texts, which may be the culprit). As you know, it doesn't really matter, as the Latin text wasn't put on a proper footing until 1869, over a century after Clarke.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Slightly off topic but which translation of Vegetius would you guys recommend as the best?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:which translation of Vegetius would you guys recommend as the best?

As far as I'm aware the 1993 translation by N.P. Milner, available in paperback from Liverpool Uni Press, is the only decent modern one. Lots of good footnotes too.

Vegetius - Epitome of Military Science
Nathan Ross
Quote:Sorry, I hadn't realised a reply was required. I've had 'flu all week . . .
Sorry to sound critical. I hope you feel better soon.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:It is, perhaps, worth noting that Clarke himself admitted that "I have often varied, and sometimes omitted the continual Prefaces at the Heads of the Sections, as they only interrupt the Subject, without contributing to either Ornament or Use. I have left out several Definitions and Etymologies, both on the above-mentioned Accounts, and because they seldom answer the Original when translated into another Language, but have always inserted them in the Notes."
It seems that Mike Bishop was right after all, although not quite to the extent that I thought he meant. The passages relegated to the notes, fortunately brief, are not translated.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:the 1993 translation by N.P. Milner, available in paperback from Liverpool Uni Press, is the only decent modern one.
Agreed. But if you're a fanatical Veg-head, you'll need Michael Reeve's Oxford Classical Text for the most authoritative Latin text. (Mostly minor differences from Lang's 1885 version, but lots of them, as far as I can tell.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lindsay Clarke sulla felix 0 778 03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Last Post: sulla felix