Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Gladivs
Many Thanks everyone Big Grin Bob I would love to forge the blade, but I have a regular job and only small periods off :oops: Sad So a grinding we will go :grin: For the Scabbard each one I do you have to be very inventive as to work out how to make each item, and also how the Roman Fabrica was tooled up. Most of the time a photo shows only the front but never the best bits at the back. So good luck with your work and look forward to any posts Big Grin
Pvblivs the period I am working too is130-150 AD as in your Avatar, now if I made another scabbard with a slide and peltate or wheel chape I could go upto 225 AD there is one in the British Museum Big Grin
Jim I am glad I put the thought in your head Big Grin
Sorry I did not do what I normaly do and photo each stage of the process, So the next one I will Big Grin
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...bbard.html
This thread I did a few years ago has some wrok in progress on a scabbard Big Grin
Regards Brennivs :-D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Great sword Tony! Which find was this gladius from? Until this thread I had never heard of this type of pommel, but it has piqued my interest
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Hi Qvintvs My blade is from a sword found at Pevensey England 3rd AD,
[Image: 5413908113_a2b461ea33_z.jpg]
You can see the wheel chape at the top it was found with.
The ring comes from Bodensee' France? I wanted a bit more bling Big Grin
There are two types of ring construction the first like above is tang forged and don't come with any decoration. The second is a ring with a small piece of tang that is then riveted to the tang of the blade, their are a good few of these with decoration one as well as plain as below,
[Image: ringpommel.jpg]
They are quite a few ring gladivs found so they must have been popular, most are in Europe. Just over a week ago I found the only brass ring and hand guard sword I know off siting on a shelf in a Museum case, again no decoration and it was a Cavalry sword but their is one. ( I feel the need to copy it ) but most Reanactors I have seen with them tend to be late 2nd - 3rd AD. I am glad made you a bit interested that's what its all about Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I also forgot to mention that their are possibly 3 swords of Mainz/Fullum pattern that have had rings fitted to there tang. They are just plain, but may be an indication of how early the influence of ring pommels came in or that these swords were still around well into the 2nd AD. Also I have come across a Ring Pommel that is decorated with hand guard and grip that looks like the pommel had a hole in the base , the tang thread through and riveted over ( it just dose not show what type of sword it is :x ) . this also is the same as the bronze pommel mentioned I just don't have photos at hand Cry This may be another indication that soldiers were altering their gladivs to Ring pommels?
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here are the pics or the swords Big Grin
[Image: FotkaHiltofRomanringpommelswordfromLandesmuseum.jpg]
As you can see it looks like the ring has slid down the tang. DOH! it just came to me it could be the rivets have gone and the ring with a tang has been pushed down into the grip and the tang of the blade is now exposed :whistle:
This one has the Bronze ring and guard again the only one I know off.
[Image: RheinischesLandesmuseumringknauf.jpg]
If anyone knows of others please post Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thanks for posting Tony, I appreciate it!

-Matt
Tony do you have some links to this type of gladii?

-Matt
Qvintvs I do not have any, Not much out there. Most seam to be from me :oops: I will have a look around to see if there is any info text wise. It has taken me over ten years to find out what little info is out there as well as a few references in books but I do have a few pdf which have info on ring pommels but not directly to Gladivs which you are welcome too :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
There is information out there on ring pommels. It's not always easy to find though. British Museum has one I have seen myself. Look at

Pevensy Sword

Join the Museum and they will send you high resolution images. You can't publish them but they do give you a good overview.

or a little more information at

Antiquitas

Jim
Thanks for that JIm Big Grin I contacted the head of department, and sent me info on the Pevensy sword size ect What is hard is the fact is trying to pin down a sword being used by the Romans, There are plenty found within Roman territory so most definatly used by them just not the context. The above sword is the only one with Roman fittings that I know. there are a some swords that are Gladivs size but again not the context Cry Most info published is on the Sarmations. So when I have made Ring Pommels I have used Roman scabbard fittings as they are very few that are found with them. Unless some one has knowledge of any :wink: so please post if you can help Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,949 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,435 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,019 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva