RomanArmyTalk
Ring Pommel Gladivs - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Ring Pommel Gladivs (/showthread.php?tid=23012)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-08-2013

I am about to start a Ring pommel Gladivs Big Grin I have a nice piece of Iron for the blade, but I am undisided on doing the hand guard and grip in bone I will try to post as many pics as I go along
[Image: P8080280.jpg]
Here are the bits, I hope to have the blade done tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Ring Pommel Gladivs - markusaurelius - 08-09-2013

Subscribed!

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Paul Elliott - 08-09-2013

What's that in your avatar?

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Robert - 08-09-2013

Ahh, another great project underway. Stock removal, I presume? Or are you into forging out the edges these days?

Out of interest, is the grip for such a gladivs made up of two scales which are glued together over the tang? I have often wondered about whether or not bone would be used, as no "grip-scales" in bone heve ever been found as far as I am aware. So perhaps wood would be the prefered option. Horn is another possibility of course, although I only know of horn grips for third century swords.

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-09-2013

Mithras to answer that ? It is a Sarmation cavalry sword with the heart shaped pommel. The slide is from Germania and the chape from Dura if I remember right.
[Image: P7220442.jpg]
Robert I am still thinking if a Iron hand guard with wood grip But since all the Ring Pommels Ive seen have had no grips found :? Horn is another choice as the Sarmations also used it for Lorica Scales. So I thought to try Bone as maybe a little experiment to see if bone could be used :?: I will be doing stock removal but I have only a few days of so need to do as much as possible Big Grin Will keep posting Thanks :grin:
Regards Brennivs :woot:

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Paul Elliott - 08-09-2013

I always 'imagined' the ring-pommel swords would have leather bindings around the grip.

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Rado - 08-09-2013

Findings from the Ritual burial in the Thracian Tomb Village Karanovo -Municipality of Nova Zagora . Together with one aureus from imp. Tiberivs and 5 silver denars. This can be determined the gladius period.
Village Karanovo -Municipality of Nova Zagora 29 July 2011.Thracian Tomb in Bulgaria's archeological complex "East Hill".Ritual burial of an aristocrat and military chief of the I century AD. which was laid in the mound with his chariot, horses, military equipment and unique glassware. The total number of the findings is 72.
[Image: jmuh.th.jpg]

http://www.blitz.bg/news/article/114496?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150325564474853_18836957_10150328446834853#f3ef52ae1147192

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-11-2013

Mithras some swords could just have leather wrapped handles as no grips have been found, but the photo from Rado the best of all the photos I have, show what could be wood scales with rings top and bottom to keep the scales together.( Many thanks for that pic Rado :-) ) Also the normal iron cross guard is not there so again it looks like it was organic Confusedmile: Keep it coming :-D
I have cut the tang,
[Image: P8090279.jpg]
marked out the centre of the blade,
[Image: P8090282.jpg]

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-11-2013

The next stage is the first grind, take the edge down on all sides before shaping the width of the blade,
[Image: P8090285.jpg]
The blade still needs a bit more polishing, but just about done. The wrought iron has slag incursions which will show up when the blade is finished,
[Image: 9dbcba23-7a0e-4e19-a91c-e4849f0c4f35.jpg]
I hope this is good enough for now but any questions please ask Big Grin All for now but will post as I progress.
Regards Brennivs :woot:

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-11-2013

Cool! I look forward to seeing what it looks like finished. 8+)

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-13-2013

Flavivs I hope I will not disappoint you Smile I have started the iron hand guard, but still thinking of a bone handle :? I also have given the blade a quick polish so you can see the beauty of wrought iron.
[Image: P8130306.jpg]

[Image: P8130307.jpg]
I can only do a few hours on the night, so I will have to finish the Ring Pommel off when I have a bit more time Big Grin

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-13-2013

Awesome work :wink:

Ring Pommel Gladivs - Augustus Janus - 08-14-2013

Really looking good Tony. Love the work and can't wait to see your finished product.

Ring Pommel Gladivs - arklore70 - 08-15-2013

Tony,
this is looking great! I love the way a ring pommel glades/sword looks. What type of steel/iron as you using?

It looks like you are using sock removal as Robert seemed to indicate in your methods to shape the blade.

I cannot wait to see the completed sword.

Ring Pommel Gladivs - brennivs - tony drake - 08-15-2013

Thanks Jim I hope I dont disappoint you too Big Grin
Titus Yes I did use stock removal but since I have done a thread on a "How Too" I did not go in too grinding the blade. Here it is just in case someone asks about it Big Grin
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re-enactment-a-reconstruction/201484-grinding-a-sword-blade-how-to.html?limitstart=0&start=60
I used Wrought Iron possibly 1890s hence the blade has slag incursions. It will take a bit of time to do so the next chance I get I will be stuck into it Big Grin