Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring Pommel Gladivs
Looked at your grinding techniques and your methods closely match my own so i must be doing something logical i hope. My previous job i had access to a large belt grinder. It made the roughing out easy. Also i save worn out flap discs as they get progressively better for polishing. Does that make me a cheapskate? Smile
I dont think so Jim Big Grin You have got too take advantage of gear that can help :whistle: I used a belt sander on the spring steel I was using, a file would not touch it too flat the high spots :x Maybe flap wheels might work better than flap discs to help polish the blade they last far longer. Well back up the workshop tomorrow working on the Pommel so hope to get that done Big Grin Post soon.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Been busy past few days Big Grin just about finished the pommel still needs a bit work before I can fit it too the tang. Hand guard finished, so the handle will be next. Since I dont have any bone to do the handle with that will work I will just use wood ?
[Image: RingPommelGladivs003.jpg]

[Image: RingPommelGladivs002.jpg]

My thoughts will now turn too the Scabbard What time frame will I out it in ? Early 2nd AD with a locket and framed chape, mid 2nd AD with scabbard slide and Peltate chape or 3rd AD with scabbard slide and wheel chape ( Pevensey sword ) :unsure: :unsure: :?
Will post soon :woot:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
NICE! How did you attach the pommel to the tang? Wood would/could probably be more acurate, as no bone scales were ever found as far as I know. Suggest boxwood, linden/limewood or holly.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert I have not attached the pommel too the tang yet, The bottom of the pommel is too short to rivet it on as originals. So I will just weld it too the tang as it will be under the grip :-) Hope to have the sword finished this week Big Grin Been giging this weekend :woot: Looking at a bathhouse with the roof missing unbelievable doors, windows,alcove for the deity Enough :woot:
Post Soon Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I think Metal would be cool.

You seem to know a lot about Ring-Pommel swords, do you know anything about the one found at Chalons?
Flavivs Thanks, I know of the sword from Chalons just a line drawing without a scale bar so I cannot tell what length it is, it is of narrow width with a Gothic arch point. The pommel looks to be tang forged hence no sign of decoration or rivets. This is the 4th ring pommel Ive made the others are Cavalry, so I am always on the lookout for more info on these swords Big Grin The sword is well on the way the pommel is now on the tang :lol: The handle has been started So I hope to finish that :grin: :woot: Then the scabbard :?
[Image: P8300341.jpg]
The wood I am using is Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea) A nice wood to carve and a very tight grain.

[Image: P8300342.jpg]
Once I have shaped the wood I can then glue the two halves together Big Grin Will post Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I have found it is better to shape the wood after glueing, as then you get a perfect alinement of the two pieces as they are already stuck fast, which is very hard to achieve otherwise. The wood looks shaped enough for the start of that fase to me.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert I do a bit shaping before hand but I finished the job after glueing here is the result
[Image: hilt1.jpg]
The wood is a nice off white Big Grin
I also made the scabbard carved out the 2 sections then glued.
[Image: P8300343.jpg]

[Image: P8300345.jpg]
It has turned out well, just the scabbard fittings next, hope my new post will have some juicey item to make :-)
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Looking GREAT!
Wonderful sword!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks Patrick, Thanks Virilis I just need to seal the wood. Then I will start on the scabbard locket and chape , I will silver all the fittings :-) Just need to choose the colour of the leather :unsure: I have one more small finishing touch to the sword, then I can concentrate on the scabbard :cheer:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
It's looking really good Tony. Nice work indeed. Love that blade. I found the start of a ring pommel for a blade I made but haven't gotten far with it yet. It began life as a hoisting ring for a 15kW electric motor lol. I've gotten the threaded portion flattened out a bit and some of the shoulder. I will do more as time allows. I don't know if I can make it look as nice as yours and by necessity it will be more rounded than teardrop shaped.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the ring?

Jim
Great work, Tony!

Jim, even heating the ring to cherry red in a cast iron barbeque with a hairdryer for air will allow you to flatten it into a more teardrop shaped ring on a small block of iron. Hold it at the top end with sturdy pliers and strike just back from the middle of the ring (threaded side). Work both sides alternatly or it will be lopsided. You can flatten/shape the threaded bit the same way. Just be sure to cool the pliers after you are done.
Warning! Hitting hot iron can be highly addictive and damaging to your health if you forget about the thick leather glove on the hand holding the pliers :-)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Thanks for the tip Robert. I've been anxious to try my hand at forging. Maybe that would be a good learning project.

Very curious about the etching procedures for the decoration patterns in the ring. I need to do some serious research.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,949 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,435 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,019 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva