Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army)
Aha! No, Polybius just does not talk about proportions. Whatever the total number of the light infantry in the speirae, according to Polybius it was evenly divided in all. The exact words he uses are "(the number of the light infantry) equal to all the parts they distributed" where "parts" clearly are the 30 speirae. As I also said to Steven, I will not judge your theory, everyone has theories, me included, their veracity is another issue. But to the question whether Polybius can be stretched to mean something similar to what you propose, the answer unfortunately is no.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Quote:Aha! No, Polybius just does not talk about proportions. ....................

Seriously? A simple 'no'......... :o

You would argue that the triarii-maniples/speira (whilst consisting of the most senior and respected soldiers/farmer-miltia) occupy half the space in camp of the others, but contain a disproportionate number of velites and thus have to camp closer together and be less 'comfortable'?

I really do think interpretation is necessary - for I don't see why 'equal to all the parts' cannot be interpreted as 'proportionally'; especially with the camp evidence.

I can't convince you that this might possibly be a reasonable interpretation?
Not unless you want to re-write the rules of Greek syntaxis? Which also mean affecting several other related languages too. Sorry but its a pretty blank piece of Greek to interpret with a clear meaning as Macedon gives it. Nor does there seem to be any suggestion that the text is compromised...so, the meaning has to stand. The relation of the passage to its historiographical tradition vs actual reality is another matter entirely.

I laughed heartily at the "zomg only the sources!" stuff being said unironically btw, so thanks for that guys...
Jass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,570 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,855 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 20,939 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James