Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Days photos
I've put up a site with some pictures from Legio XX's Roman Days 2004 held this past weekend. Most of the pictures ended up being of me as a very Roman-looking Samnite. Anyway, here's the link: [url=http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/romandays2004.html" target="top]www.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/romandays2004.html[/url]<br>
<br>
More pictures may yet trickle in... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Great, clear shots! You have captured the simplicity of the early Romans quite well, Danno! (The Deepeeka Italo-Corinthian fits you as it does us, I see: too f'n small ).<br>
<br>
The shape of your vexillum is quite unique... is there any evidence for one of this shape? I only ask because I recently remade our unit flag, and did a lot of research beforehand. I found the shape of them to be remarkably uniform throughout the centuries: square or slightly rectangular, with the length a bit longer than the width. The size is more more subjective, since the whims of individual sculptors came into play with regards to how much space was available to show it, etc., but anywhere from 10"x12" to 16"x16" seems to be portrayed (I believe the Fayum one was closer to the latter demensions).<br>
<br>
My compliments overall, yours is a nice variation of our usual fare!<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Darius<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks for your compliments! Actually, the Deepeeka helmet I've got is like a bucket, but I think I put a bit too much padding in, which is why you get the impression that it's small...<br>
As for the vexillum, I can't say anything about it; it belongs to one of the units that was in attendance, and I just thought it looked nice!<br>
<br>
As I'm writing this, it seems like Photobucket is having some trouble, so if you can't see the pictures right now, try again later... if this keeps up I may have to just host my own pictures and make them smaller... anyone else have reports of trouble with PB? <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Nice shots! Here's as few that I took:<br>
<br>
66.66.131.145/roman/roman...s2004.html<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lots of Roman Days Photos Primvs Pavlvs 11 2,286 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Crispvs