Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accountability
There are threads about modifications to (for example) Rome Total War, and in a loose way, they could be considered advertisement for those modifications or new versions of games. No doubt, some will buy those products, and some would never have heard that there IS a RTW2 coming down the track. Those are not really historical, but many people including myself have played/will investigate the new versions.
That's allowed, as long as the product itself isn't listed as a sale item, such as "To purchase this game, click here".

Susie's Chocolate Dipped Strawberries can't post ads here. Recipes, maybe.

No Coca-Cola promos.

But it would be ok to list in a post, whether one is the actual maker or just knows where to get items that could be used in the production of replica goods. AFAIK, we've not had any companies that sell bronze sheets in various thicknesses, or similar raw materials. I think those would be allowed, as that's what's needed to make bronze items.

Power tools to mill and shape metal or wood are not allowed, nor are hand tools, unless the tools are replica tools that would have been used by the Ancients. It is all right to mention how someone uses ancient/modern tools to bring about a finished replica. It is probably not all right for (picking a hypothetical) Makita to present their new bench grinder, with a slogan, "Just right for grinding gladius blades." (Most power tool companies, including Makita, don't sell directly to the public anyway, but you get the point?) It is fine to mention what tools are used, and it may also be allowed to mention where the tool can be obtained. But the commercial tool manufacturer is not allowed to post seasonal sales and other marketing information here. Go to Home Depot, or WalMart to find that data.

I think I had the spirit of this, though the rule was added before I became a moderator and wasn't really able to make comment on it, as I was not privy to the original conversation. That's why I referred it to Staff for a decision. Thanks, Robert V for bringing your insight to the public side.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.