Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Chester casualty article
I don't think anyone has posted this link.

Battle of Chester

Okay, its about a 'sub-Roman' engagement in 616 AD, but the weapons, fighting styles and injuries caused (probably by British warriors/soldiers) are the same as the late Roman kit at least. It is a good analysis of the wounds from spatha type swords and axes.
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
The link doesn't work :/
The Link works on my computer but here is the URL to cut & paste if it doesn't work for you

http://www.medieval.yas.org.uk/bl0g/?tag...rchaeology
aka Nick Marshall
Works fine for me. Thanks!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I'm still getting both a 403 and a 404 error when I click the link.
I'm using firefox - perhaps it is a browser issue?
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
No because I use Firefox.
And I can get it using IE.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I'm using Chrome and it works fine!

Thanks, interesting link ... the skull with the reconstruction of the blow to the face ..... it won't let me sleep for the next few days!
I can access it now, for some reason it wouldn't work on my home computer.
Quote:I can access it now, for some reason it wouldn't work on my home computer.

This is how it all begins-rise of the machines :o !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"chop the opponent off at the knees, bring him down and slice and hack at the head to make sure he was dead before stepping over the body to fight the next man."
This has got to be the most descriptive quote of what the remains are telling us of presumed fighting style. So much for all the cling-clang of show fighting blade to blade. Nope, circle around, keep your cover, use your shield to force an opening, slice low and deep and then when he goes down, finish the job with a solid strike of a sharp blade.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yep, that's how it happened.
Its the high number of blows to the head that struck me (pun intended). They defintetely didn't want them getting up again! Real hand to hand combat has to be brutal to survive, no poncing about Hollywood style.
aka Nick Marshall
After the battle someone probably went around with a hatchet giving even the dead ones an extra whack to the skull, just to make sure they don't get up again. Might even have been done by someone looting the bodies.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Casualty counts in late antiquity. Flavivs Aetivs 16 3,061 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Casualty Rates : Infantry vs. Cavalry Theodosius the Great 10 3,493 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Scipio Bristolus