Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Army decline?
Andy:
I don't know your background and I don't mean to be condescending, but you seem to be making the same assumptions/errors as many of us when we first began studying the period based on sources that had no personal knowledge of what they were talking about and who had a distinct agenda.

Also, I think you are wrong in you assumption that the LRA inability to recover from defeats indicates troops were of lesser quality. Numbers does not equal quality and there were a lot of reasons for the LRA inability to keep and replenish sufficient numbers including: 1) near constant civil wars for 200 years; 2) plague; 3) privileges granted to the aristocracy, who by this time had really eliminated the "middle class" and turned most people who weren't slaves into indentured servants; 4) lack of incentive to serve, as there was no regular booty to be gained by offensive campaigns.

Also, there is no evidence that the equipment used by the LRA was, on the whole, "inferior" to that of the principate. It does appear that the equipment became lighter and offered somewhat less protection, but it was also cheaper and easier to maintain and thus more useful in the long run. Also, the equipment changed along with the tactics, as was required by the change in "mission" of the army from offense to defense.

I do agree with you that the fact that the troops at Adrianople broke ranks may be indicative of declining level of discipline, but you also have to consider that they just underwent a forced day-long march in excruciating heat, were being blinded by smoke from fires on the other side, and were likely goaded into attacking by a feigned retreat. IMHO, the army was not really in crisis until the time of Stilicho, when he was unable to cope with the manpower losses from Saint Theo's two massive civil wars.

IMHO, where the LRA went wrong was allowing barbarian troops to serve as federate troops under their own commander rather than breaking them up and incorporating them into existing units. I do agree that as the number of federates increased proportionally, it is likely that this had an adverse impact overall on the effectiveness of the army. But, on the other hand, most tribes that lived on the frontier were well acquainted with the "Roman way of war."

Basically, the situation was much more complex than the two extreme viewpoints often espoused (LRA sucked vs just as good as principate).

But, please do some more reading and read some of the other threads on this topic. There are a great many nuanced perspectives on this issue and, ultimately, we do not have any eye witness accounts other than Ammianus.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Well, you can't say we don't have any other eye withness accounts other than Ammianus. Merobaudes and Claudian, the pangeyricists of Aetius and Stilicho respectively, were eyewitnesses to their campaigns (Merobaudes was even a General). That's just one example. Sidonius Apollinaris describes roman soldiers under Avitus and Majoran as being clad in Mail and Scale Armor, and that was when the Empire was on its last leg.
Quote:Well, you can't say we don't have any other eye withness accounts other than Ammianus. Merobaudes and Claudian, the pangeyricists of Aetius and Stilicho respectively, were eyewitnesses to their campaigns (Merobaudes was even a General). That's just one example. Sidonius Apollinaris describes roman soldiers under Avitus and Majoran as being clad in Mail and Scale Armor, and that was when the Empire was on its last leg.

My bad.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
I have a tendency to overanalyze things, don't take it personally.
Quote: I never said barbarianization was a reason for decline, the fact that the Romans can ONLY draw people across their borders proves their decline. The Auxilia were proffesional troops, Foederetii are not.
Who ever said that the Romans could only recruit across the border? That’s nonsense.
You mean Foederati, not foederetii.

Quote: Yes, Valens did have his field army in Persia, but you have to realize the Roman army was 500,000 strong at this time well at least on paper. The fact it was only on paper is a clear indication of corruption, militia army, and an inablity to mobilize to defeat the Goths.
Every army is smaller than it’s paper strength. Every army ever. It’s a load of nonsense to call that a sign of corruption. Nor does it has anything to do with militias or mobilization ability.

Quote:Field armies were divided up so I do not suspect Valens' Persian field army to be more than 100,000 in the East. The fact that he could only draw 20,000 in Thrace just show the manpower shortages.

You are constantly confusing the field army with armies on campaign. Constantine had a force of (reputedly) 100.000, but everyone assumes his actual field army no stronger than 30.000.

Quote: Again right after Adrianople, the Romans never bothered to muster an army to defeat the Goths in a decisive battle even when losing only 15,000 men. At the Battle of Constantinople the Goths were reported to be "outnumbered" yet the Romans could not finish off the Goths.

A matter of strategy. You seem certain they would have won, well, you were not there at the time. The loss of Adrianople must have influenced the general accordingly, and they did not dare risk another battle. It’s easy for you to judge that. But it does not say anything about corruption or not.

Quote: Roman armies in the Principate from Aurelius and the 3rd century Crisis was capable of having the quality Legions to deploy in Africa, Germania, Thrace and Persia, the Late army after Julian was totally incapable. The days of the Legions of Marius were the Romans could draw mass ammounts of reserves from its civilians was over and suffer 80,000 complete annihalations and still recover....was over.
The Romans could still draft many soldiers, but the landscape was indeed different. Although far more Romans were citizens, the frontiers that had to be guarded were far longer. The Roman Republic, given the amount of troops and the length of borders in the 4th century, would also have had great difficulties to raise an army after the defeats against Hannibal.
If you make comparisons, please DO make them on good grounds.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: 220,000? The Notitia clearly estimates between 500,000-350,000 in 390 AD.
You are very much mistaken. ‘Clearly’? The Notitia Dignitatum does not give us any numbers. Not of the total army strength, not of the units mentioned. Nothing.

Quote:Mob as in very disorderly as hard to mobilize. Both Vegetius and Zozimus clearly say this.
Where do Vegetius or Zosimus tell us this? You keep repeating and repeating this ‘fact’, with negativisms as ‘mob’, militia’, hard to mobilize’ attached. Yet you never deliver us where the sources supposedly tell us this.

Quote: No decline in quality? No way.
Old images of modern reenactors do not weigh anything in your favour. I can also post pictures of bad Republican groups from the 1990s and compare them to very well-equipped images of Late Roman reenactors. That still does not tell us anything about the past.
To me it seems you only read vague discussions on the internet instead of sources and scientific comments on these sources.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)